1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

roof racks -- time to say goodbye?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A relative spent the weekend and I happened to notice the roof rack on his RAV 4.

I asked if he ever used it. He said nope.

I once had a van with a roof rack. I think I used it twice in all the years I had that van. IIRC, the van just "came with" a roof rack.

A bit of research shows that UC Berkeley decided the racks can cut mpg up to 25 percent.

Are they are cars just so the makers can squeeze out a few more dollars from buyers?

I KNOW some people really use them, but for the most part, most of them seem to be empty all the time.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I removed the cross bars on my Forester, it helped MPG a little bit. I never considered the rails down each edge, they seemed not to block much wind. (Forester cross bars were shaped like wings,)

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Speed is the main factor here; probably common knowledge. Wind drag ~ third power of velocity or some such.

Keep 'er under 40 mph and Prius can get 80 mpg with a legal file cabinet on the roof. Yeah I did that (cab was priced very low).

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm, I believe it's already been done. I've started noticing it maybe 5 or 6 years ago?

Most SUVs with roof racks and crossbars changed to just the roof rails to improve aerodynamics in the next full model redesign in the 2010s. The crossbars were a dealer-installed accessory. In addition, some have "low profile" roof rails (so they're a solid piece, attached to the roof, rather than the raised rail like those found on the Outback).

Take a look at any late model SUV and most will just have the roof rails. The exception will be those that are designed for buyers who do actually go off-road or those that need a vehicle because they need to carry something on the roof. Vehicles like the Subaru Outback and Jeep Wrangler will have the raised rails with the Wrangler adding the crossbars. The exception is the Outback Premier which has the low profile rails.

On the flipside, the RAV4 has optional roof rails (standard on XLE and the Adventure Grades [Trail Edition in Canada])

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking that the UC Berkley study was for racks that were actually being employed.

My principle ride is either my pickemuptruck (09) or a GMC Envoy (06) and the latter came with roof mounted luggage racks as standard equipment. This I know because IIRC it was a bone stock base model, and I never buy vehicles from dealers who put their own aftermarket junk on cars.

I removed the bars from the rack because (a) they added to the wind noise and (b) I always considered them to be extra-redundant since waaaaaaaay back in 2006 they used to make SUVs and they had and have adequate towing capabilities as well as sufficient cargo space.
    I just never saw the need for the luggage rack, but they're a cheap add-on and I still run across the bars every now and again when I'm rummaging around in the shed looking for something ELSE I stashed away a dozen years ago.

Today's drivers are more concerned with fuel efficiency, and people who make cars are more concerned with that too.......and also profit margins, which is why SUV's are starting to be replaced by cross-overs (cars dressed up like a truck.)

Since only people on reality TV shows have large families these days, x-overs with third row seating is car-speak for:
    There's sufficient interior room for your junk, otherwise....please feel free to use the receiver hitch that we bolted to the car to make it look more like a truck.

Markets respond.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I no longer needed my 3/4 ton, V10 full length pickemuptruck with camper and tow pkgs which I eventually replaced with a 2010 Prius...w/rcvr. BUT the MiniVans and full sized SUV's w/rcvrs and racks were needed for the kids, their friends, team-mates, band members, fellow scouts, Christmas, Thanksgiving, family reunions,ect... Now that they are grown, the Wife's RAV4 (car, cross-over, whatever) has replaced them, but it has a roof rack and tow pkg...which are used. My 2015 Prius the Son has been using in College Part II will come back to me this week when he returns home (very briefly) with his BS and a job. The 2010 Prius will likely be traded in for "his first very own"...a used Tundra due to his profession.

My point is...different needs, different options, different vehicles.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never saw too severe MPG loss until I put a box or canoe on there. With a box on there, the MPG loss can be dramatic 10-15 MPG loss on a Prius.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try pulling a loaded trailer. Knocked my mpg almost in half.

wjtracy likes this.