1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rookie EV messup...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by joshguild, Jul 17, 2007.

1. joshguild

joshguild New Member

so i everything went smoothly with the OEM EV button install until i tried to see if i had tapped the wires (using radioshack phone taps) correctly for illumination. held my breath aaaaaand nothing. sigh. i made sure that i had the right wires connect and all that, then i began swearing. when i installed the taps, i didn't push the illumination wire far enough in to cut through the installation.

so here's my question:

how do i get clamped phone taps loose? break them with pliers?

i'm scared. help me.

2. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be able to carefully slide a small jeweler's screwdriver in the edge around the top of the crimps and pop the top out. That should allow you to remove the wires. Alternatively, just snip your wire and leave the tap there and affix a new one in a different spot. :)

3. joshguild

joshguild New Member

the jeweler's screwdriver is what i was leaning towards, i just didn't wanna fry anything with the metal.
    i guess i could just (literally) cut my losses and try again. ha.

i plan on fixing this in a bit so i'll update.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joshguild @ Jul 17 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]480249[/snapback]</div>

How do you know you didn't fully tap the wires? Reason I ask is ...The EV switch will not illuminate if the polarity is backward, ie: wires 2 & 3 were tapped into dimmer backward.
    If you are not sure, Unplug the connector from the EV switch and use a volt meter, test the voltage of wires 2 & 3 in the connector, with the lights on. If you get 12v then the wires are tapped. In that case you need to reverse wires 2 & 3 , because the EV switch light will not illuminate if the polarity is backward. The wires can be swapped in the connector by sliding the pins out, and swapping them.
    Use the metal spine of a twist-tie and insert it in the small hole in the end of the connector, above each associated pin, that will release the pin clip and allow you to pull the pins out and swap.
    That will save you the trouble of redoing your wire taps, if they are infact fully tapped.

5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Jul 17 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]480307[/snapback]</div>
    There is not enough length to the dimmer wires to do that. IMHO