1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Room for a few more ponies under the hood?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Pinto Girl, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh oh, I knew this would happen.

After a few weeks of driving with the TRD suspension installed, I'm beginning to realize that -- thanks to the improved handling -- my fair Buzz has gone from somewhat under-suspensioned to somewhat under-powered.

Worse, that got me thinking...

First, I have to admit that I grew up with and have a pretty intimate understanding of Ford engines and the domestic auto scene (the different engine families, etc.), but I know far, far less about Toyota. I don't even know if the current Prius engine is related to that in the Echo...or, the Atkinson cycle thing aside, if the archtecture is unique.

In any case, underneath the streamlined shrouds and electronic controls and thick orange wires that aren't present in 'normal' cars, there beats the heart of a li'l o'l four banger, right? Surely there must be a way to coax a bit more out of it when I ring down to the engine room for all ahead full.

I'm guessing that the limiting factor would be the PSD. I am wondering if anyone knows how much extra torque the PSD would be able to route without excessive wear. I fear that the answer is, "not much" since the whole car seems to be engineered for light weight and little excess, but I have absolutely nothing substantive to base that upon.

The assumption is that more horsepower would be a benefit, even in a hybrid. I mean, there are times when the traction battery becomes exhausted, for one. But besides that, would more power even make a difference?

Surely, the answer is still yes...?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the engine code, it's the same engine as the Echo/Yaris/Vitz. 1NZ-FE (1NZ-FXE for Prius).

I don't know if an exhaust or CAI will help but I think with the Prius, we have to think of the other methods that are commonly misplaced. IOW, instead of asking for more power, ask for a lighter weight.

For instance, I'm sure someone can come up with a lighter solution to the black plastic bin under the floor. Removing the spare tyre (legalities aside) could help. I can't remember if the 1NZ is an all-aluminium block but that can be improved upon.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Lexus is introducing a hybrid that will do zero to sixty in 5.2 seconds. That should be enough power for you. I know you know this, but I'm going to restate the obvious: power plant design is all about compromises. In the case of the Prius, the focus is on low emissions and high efficiency. If you make the engine more powerful, other components need to be beefed up to handle the extra torque, which works against light weight and efficiency. If the other components can already handle more torque, then they are over designed and should be slimmed down.

On the other hand, you can make a good case for hybrid technology in a performance car, which is being done even as we speak with several other models. Your vision for the Prius may not be the same as Toyota's and other Prius drivers. That said, maybe the touring model will be refined into a higher performance version.

Tom

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 20 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]335665[/snapback]</div>
    I used to have a link to a 2 or 3 part article on turbocharging a 1st gen Prius, perhaps googlig would turn it up still... It was an insane amount of work, but it didn't seem to hurt mileage that much. It did seem to help a bit with acceleration, and avoiding "turtle mode" or whatever that is. I suppose NOx might be a possibility, too.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 20 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]335734[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I agree; if I want more performance I should get a car with more performance. Thank you for writing it for me to think about again. Even as I was typing out that topic, I found myself wondering why exactly I would even contemplate something like this. Up 'till now, my credo has been that I can make any modification, as long as it doesn't worsen mileage.

Honestly, the Prius does seem to be a excellent overall package in a number of ways and, coming out of a Porsche 993, I'm much happier with the overall blend of everything that I experience now (including cost of operation) than I ever was with the Carrera.

I have no plans on selling my Prius, obviously. The car fits me so well in so many ways that I'm glad to keep the engine stock if that's really the only viable option.

I think that the root of the problem is simple: I've never been able to leave well enough alone. Perhaps that's the lesson I should take away from this discussion...just *leave it alone*!!
    [smile]

...either that or yank the whole HSD drive and drop a big crate motor in the back seat area, like those Renault R5(?) rally cars from many years ago.

This, I think, might do the trick.

I drove a Monster Miata for a short while, with a 5.0 Ford V-8 in place of 1.6 stock engine (if that gives you a better feeling for where I'm coming from) and it was a RIOT, but also kind of a pain in the you-know-where.

Ach, this darn compromise thing.
    [laughing]

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The turbo'd Prius article I was thinking of is here.
    http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2664/article.html

looks like the previous parts of the story require you pay,
    that's a shame, since it was interesting reading what all they
    went through to make this work.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you...it'll be good for me to see how insane this really is!

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 20 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]335665[/snapback]</div>
    Part of the appeal of the Prius is that it's not a Porsche. You knew that, but still, I understand the desire for horses under the hood instead of samurai mice. Turbos and superchargers have been discussed here before, with the general consensus that the cost/benefit ratio isn't worth it. (If ya wanted a sports car, ya should have bought one, yada, yada) As cool as it would be to see a mid-engined hemi-under-glass Prius with an air scoop on the roof (C'mon, Tamiya. What is taking so long with those plastic model kits?), it would kinda defeat the purpose. On the other hand, I've heard rumours of 130hp dragracing Echos... :)

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 20 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]335789[/snapback]</div>
    So how to we get these samurai to serve us outside the car? it seems like a waste of their abilities to just have them dragging me from point A to point B... i'd rather use them to smite mine enemies! :lol:

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 20 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]335761[/snapback]</div>
    I used to drive a Honda CRX; the little two-seat pocket-rocket. They were pretty zippy, but still only had a little 4 cylinder engine. I remember seeing an article in an auto magazine where they took the engine and transaxle from another CRX and mounted it in the back of a CRX, so you had two engines and two transaxles. :blink: This was one of those lunatic projects that you had to admire. They said it was worth it just to see the look on people's faces when they climbed in, started the engine, then started the second engine!

Tom

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 20 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]335833[/snapback]</div>
    Oh my Gawd! That was Car and Driver, back in the day...I recall it, too! There was this weird, twisted logic to such an idea; I found it tremendously appealing, naturally.

I do think that my RAV4 could benefit from those samurai mice, though...the hamsters under the hood have gotten a bit sluggish (am I mixing my metaphors?) after nearly 200,000 miles.

12. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 20 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]335665[/snapback]</div>
    NO. This is the typical non-hybrid logic and really does not apply to the Prius. You seem to have the handling where you like it, now you have to learn how to utilize the torque you have to the best advantage. Unless you are planning on running Pikes Peak there is little chance of exhausting the traction battery. Just learn how to drive it and have fun.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Oct 20 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]335945[/snapback]</div>
    Not necessarily. Best Motoring depleted the GS450h's battery after one lap at Tsukuba Circuit (which isn't a particularly large track). It was at 6 bars in the beginning and 1 bar after one lap. In case you're wondering, it still won the race even with the battery depleted. It was racing against the GS430 and M45, both V8 powered cars.

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

THere is nothing wrong with wanting more power. All that "well, it's a Prius, if you wanted a sports car you should have bought one," is just irrelevant. To some that might make sense, but to others, like me, that is NONsense.

Anyway, I beleive it was HKS that built a turbo Prius. There was a thread a while back about NO2 as a possibility.

Anything is possible if yo spend enough money. There are drag racing Honda Civics with tiny 1.5L and 2L engines that are putting out 500hp, 600hp, and some even more. Of course these are specially designed and built, and are way to impractical to use in anything but a drag only car. But my point is, you wouldn't need to build a motor like that. Heck, imagine getting 50 more hp out of a Prius! That would make a phenomenal difference. And chances are that it would be able to be done without affecting mileage too much.

I plan on getting the Tom's exhaust at some point, and if there isn't one available, to make my own cold air intake. Since I spend most of my driving time on the interstate, the ICE is on all the time anyway.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doc, you know the Prius GT?

That runs on the Otto cycle and produces around 143hp. It has a rollcage and rear seats removed. I believe the front seats are also replaced with Sparco (I think it's Sparco, not Recaro) seats.

According to Toyota, it still gets similar mileage to the stock Prius because of the reduced weight. (I assume that's more than just the rear seat removal)

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One and a half tons of scrap metal
    Four undernourished hamsters
    Do the math
    _H*

17. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Oct 20 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]335945[/snapback]</div>
    More horsepower is usually beneficial. The folks who turbocharged the 1st gen Prius seemed to obtain better performance and hill climbing ability without crushing their economy, see link posted earlier. I'm feeling there's room for improvement in performance, nitrous oxide would seem like the most bang for the buck.

18. Pious

Pious New Member

Toyota Prius GT

It was just a question of time before Toyota's efficiency-focused engineers choose to squeeze more power from the Prius hybrid. The Prius GT debuted at Goodwood Festival of Speed in England, and now reaches out to a more mainstream audience. While using the same engine, electric motor, generator, and battery as the standard Prius, the GT boasts a 37-horsepower gain, enough to push 0-60-mph acceleration times down to 8.7 seconds. Part of the improved acceleration comes from severe weight reduction, which sees the interior stripped down and built back up in race trim, with two bucket seats and full roll cage. The suspension has upgraded shocks, springs, and anti-roll bars to improve handling, though the greatest gain may be simply in the fitting of grippier Celica tires. Yet another harbinger of hybrids to come, the technology is proving green politics and fun can coexist. -MotorTrend

19. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pious @ Oct 24 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]337391[/snapback]</div>
    Any idea what they did to boost the power by 37 HP?

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Weight reduction won't happen in my Prius. Any weight reduction would be offset by all the equipment I have in the car. I think the most I can take out at this point are the rear speakers since they haven't seen any action in more than a year.

I'm contemplating running the car with less fuel, like around 5 - 10 litres, and visiting the pump more often. The Prius is a lot more fun when the tank isn't full :). With my new job, there are gas stations readily available along my route so I won't have too much trouble finding one. It shouldn't hurt my economy too much. In fact, it may actually improve my fuel economy since the Prius doesn't have to haul around as much weight.