1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rory, Rory, Rory!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Jun 19, 2011.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems like a good kid. i just can't get into any of the young golfers, there's just no personality draw. that being said, i hope he doen't cough up another furball.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having worked for 4 years for ABC's Wide World of Sports Pro Golf Tour, my job was Transmission and Systems Maintenance, I was around to see the rise of Tiger Woods.
    This is one US Open that I wish I was working.
    That kid shows tremendous potential, I hope he does not blow it like he did at the Masters.
    :rockon: Go Rory :rockon:

4. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    He's playing lights out golf right now. -17 after 10 and leads by 8. Unfreakingbelievable.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good for him, hope he keeps it up!

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    He is still playing unbelievable right now. It is really fun to watch someone besides Tiger Woods playing phenomenal golf. He really does appear to be a really nice guy with a good attitude.

-16 on number 14. No signs of a Master's.

Go Rory !

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Can certainly tell that he's playing somewhat conservative. Playing within himself. I think the Master's provided some wisdom. He's got a sizable lead and looks like he's going to take it.

Good for him.

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    17 under at 16!

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn, back to 16 under at 17, lookout 18!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    phil's still scratching his head.

11. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If only Tiger was this genuine...

Eighteen months after the earthquake which devastated Haiti, McIlroy witness in Port-au-Prince “stuff I never thought I’d see in my life”.

He saw countless people living in tents.
    He saw the dome atop the presidential palace caved in, teetering.
    Yet amid the endless mounds of rubble, he was struck by the smiling faces of Haitian schoolchildren.

“The spirit, not just of the kids, but the whole country, was incredible,” he said.
    “The whole experience was quite inspiring. It changes how you think.”

McIlroy spoke of this experiences during a two-day reconnaissance visit to Congressional Country Club.

Read more: Humbling Haiti trip is making of Rory McIlroy - Golf, Sport - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

12. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is cute. Real cute!

13. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh no, not the Troubles again! Let's hope Rory & Graeme can somehow help heal the divide.

... as U.S. Open champion Rory McIlroy, 22, disembarked at an airport named for his country's most famous sporting export, George Best, and headed home to a hero's welcome in Holywood, just outside Belfast and only five miles from Short Strand, hundreds of men of McIlroy's generation, born and brought up within that five-mile radius, donned masks to cover their fresh faces and armed themselves with petrol bombs, stones, guns—and even golf balls...

... society is still divided, as it was during the Troubles, and not only between Protestants and Catholics, loyalists and republicans, unionists and nationalists.

Those divisions still exist, of course. You see them in the colors painted on curbstones—the red, white and blue of the Union flag for a Union-supporting area and the green, orange and white of the Irish flag denoting a nationalist enclave. Then there are the statistics: only 6% of northern Irish schoolkids attend "integrated schools"; the rest go to institutions still demarcated by religion. Social housing is similarly segregated.

Yet a divide that is at least as persistent goes to explaining why some young Northern Irish continue to become embroiled in sectarianism while others live almost untouched by its taint. It is the gulf between those with prospects and those without. Obviously McIlroy, blessed with prodigious sporting talent, has always enjoyed greater prospects than most of his contemporaries, but many ordinarily gifted Northern Irish men and women also grow up with some some vision of a productive future. What distinguishes these children from others is not religion: McIlroy is Catholic; Graeme McDowell, another Ulsterman who won the U.S. Open in 2010, is Protestant....

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tiger is probably a victim of his upbringing. the good, and the bad. it is sad what happened to him. another victim of the human condition. i'm still a fan tho, i can't explain it. no one in sports has ever caught my interest the way he did. i can only wish him the best.

15. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't know much about Tiger's upbringing, but I have no doubt it was very different from McIlroy's. Rory's parents never pushed him to play golf. It was the boy's desire and drive all his own. All Gerry and Rosie did was sacrifice themselves so that their son can live out his golfing dream.

As a person, Tiger never did make an impression on me. I never wanted my kids to look up to him no matter how brilliant his game was.

My first disappointment with Tiger came very early, back when he first announced that he would turn pro and had just signed an endorsement deal with Nike. Back then Nike was being criticized for running sweatshops in countries like Bangladesh and Vietnam. Several organizations tried to get Tiger to support their campaign aimed at pressuring Nike to clean up their acts, especially regarding child labor. They naively thought the young Tiger would be the perfect spokesman for such a great cause. Boy were they wrong.

I love golf because it is a game based on integrity and honesty. Looks like McIlroy has plenty of both, plus one hell of a smooth swing.

16. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    He played a great tournament. He was fantastic the way he handled himself after the Masters. I just hope the press doesn't canonize him too quickly and make everyone upset if he doesn't win the next twenty tournaments in a row. I certainly hope he makes Tiger fade into the background.

17. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Kinda interesting how the media is all over Rory yet all but ignore Yani Tseng, a 22-year old who has won THREE Majors and is currently No.1 in the world.

18. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The cute little Rory video clip I posted in this thread has gone viral. 200k+ hits and counting!

It's now embedded on numerous global websites and blogs - notably yahoo.sports and golfchannel.com! At one point its popularity reached #37 in S. Korea. I'm flabbergasted.

Did Priuschatters help spread this wildfire?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i love womens golf and tennis. media is not interested in womens sports.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    acttually, i think tiger's upbringing was similar. except his father was a philandering green beret. a lot of people wanted tiger to save the world for their 'cause'. no one ever asked jack or arnie to do that. we'll see what they ask of rory and how he handles it. maybe he can bring peace to ireland and the middle east.