1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rostra Lumbar in 2006?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SebMike, Apr 27, 2006.

1. SebMike

SebMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am considering purchasing the Rostra lumbar support for my new 2006 Prius. I have scrubbed the threads and found several places of people talking about installing, but never seem to see much on the how-to angle.

A few questions for anyone who has installed them in a 2006, or may have answers to the following:

Does a kit exist from Rostra to tap into an existing fuse location?

Anything I need to worry about when removing the seats? I see wires below the seat, presumably for airbag and other stuff...is everything connectorized? Do I need to be concerned about unplugging, reconnecting, and eveything being happy when I'm done?

Any words of advice on 2006 seat and fabric removal? Another thread mentioned some D-clips at the base of the seat that needed to be bent open to be able to roll the fabric up, but I was not clear if that was a 2006 comment...or if the 2006 would be any different...

Thanks,
    Mike

2. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

I'll find out since I just ordered a pair of lumbar kits from Rostra for my 2006 Prius. I just got the car and haven't had time to delve deeply into it to see where I'll tie in for the 12v. I was thinking initially that maybe I could tie into one of the cigarette sockets with a fuse. I really need to get the service manuals on this car.

So far I've ordered this, the side mouldings from Sigma and the BT stiffening plate.

-Aaron

~425 miles on the car, already over 46MPG.
    Driftwood Pearl, package #7, Fremont, CA.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SebMike @ Apr 27 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]246343[/snapback]</div>

3. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ Apr 28 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]246962[/snapback]</div>
    I was just browsing there website and could not find the Lumbar application for the Prius. How much did you pay for each kit? Did you have to phone your order in? When do you expect your order?

I've hated my seats ever since i've purchased my vehicle. I went to Brookstone and purchased a lumbar support for the seat. It's functional but, always moves when i get out of the vehicle. I would love something that's built into the seat and adjustable.

I'd like to hear about your lumbar comfort once you've received/installed your kits.

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    http://66.70.95.71/heaters/heaters.asp

I used to work for this company in Denver. Mention my name (Curt the Prius guy) and they'll treat ya right!

As far as install goes, it was a 3 out of 5 on the difficulty scale. Took about 3 hours total for 2 seats. I've done many of these lumbar systems and they are great.

Prius seats are pretty easy to work with. I just unplugged the airbag and seat belt connections, unbolted the seat and out it comes.

The fabric itself is held in place with various clips and springs and whatnot. Then "peel" the fabric up halfway up the seat back to place the bladder. The airbag is there in the side and u can look at it, but it won't fall out or anything. I used a 12 V source on my bench to inflate the lumbar and move it around to find the best spot to attach it using the supplied zip ties.

Power in the car was easy. In both kick panels there were a couple of wires that tested as ACC (switched) and are pretty good sized so choose whichever. I don't recall the colors, sorry. I always test using a multi-meter.

Any other install questions, just ask. I'd love to help.

Good luck. Adding power lumbar has made all the difference in a comfortable adjustable seat.

Curt.

5. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phumpher @ Apr 29 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]247409[/snapback]</div>
    How does one get to the wires in the center console? I want to tap in to the aux power there which should be fine. I haven't done anything in years with wiring in cars... is there an easy way to remove the center console to get to the wiring?

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ Apr 30 2006, 11:45 AM) [snapback]247623[/snapback]</div>
    Just pull the whole front of the the thing off (forward), and you can get under there to the wires. There isn't much slack in those wires though, so full removal of the console may be needed.

8. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just ordered a set of lumbar supports for my prius at the place "finman" suggested. I hope there not too difficult to install.

I'll finally stop hearing my fiancé complaining about her back when we drive for over 30 minutes. :p

9. Hybridguy

Hybridguy New Member

phumpher: Any chance you can post pics. I am very interested in putting those lumbars in but am afraid taking the seat apart. It would be great having something to look at while doing it. Thanks a bunch!

10. phumpher

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  11. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phumpher @ May 1 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]248426[/snapback]</div>
    The only question I have is how to take the console apart now... it looks like there's about 8 screws that need to be undone.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for pads to sit on... I drove about 4 hours yesterday and am still sore.

12. Hybridguy

Hybridguy New Member

Phumber,

You are the man! Thanks a lot. I'll give this a try.

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phumpher @ May 1 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]248426[/snapback]</div>
    Well done, and thank you! I especially like the cautions at the end. :)

14. SebMike

SebMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, Phumpher, let me say it again, nice job on the tutorial, great job. Maybe you should offer your work to Rostra :)

I'm curious if anyone has seen the 1453 in the tutorial next to a 1454? The 1454 is 10.25" wide per Rostra's docs, and the pictures make it look like an inflatable rectangle as opposed to the hourglass shape of the 1453. I know I want the added support as low as I can get it, and wonder if the rectangular 1454 might suit my needs better...

Thanks,
    Mike

15. phumpher

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    phumpher -

My last email to you may have hit your spam filter. Didn't hear back...

Was curious as to the current draw from the pump motor and the seat heaters. And can I assume that you didn't have any issues with the heater installation? On the site, it says something about not installing them in seats with side air bags...

I'll probably order up the set tomorrow.

17. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 4 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]250068[/snapback]</div>
    Now that you bring this up, i'm a little worried. I just ordered a set and I have side air bags.

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I also need to ask them if the Lumbar support AND the Seat heaters can be installed together.

I'll let you all know after i talk to them.

18. phumpher

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  19. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    SaeGai06,
    I have installed both, no problems. My wife uses them alot, seems hot outside to me and she's got the seat heaters on. "Relax the back" or something like that is what I get told. All in all, some of the best mods I done in terms of smiles received.
    [/quote]

That's great. May I ask what combo you went with? I'm guessing Catrek Seat heaters and Which lumbar supports?

Thanks

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phumpher @ May 5 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]250186[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Phumper - I will, just to make sure all is working. I was just thanking you, and asking the questions you've just answered here.

I was planning on ordering the heaters from the same place as the bladders that Curt suggested. No idea how these compare to what you installed.
    http://66.70.95.71/heaters/heaters.asp