1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rotate Tires with Alloy Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rpg51, Oct 22, 2008.

1. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I plan to rotate my own tires. I've never done this procedure with the Prius or any alloy wheels for that matter. Can I just use my old steel lug wrench? Do I need to take any special precautions? Can I tighten by feel like I usually do with good results? Also, how do you get the little center cover off and on the wheels - I have a spare set of wheels for snow tires and I need to transfer that back and forth.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct tightening torque is 76 ft.-lb, which may be substantially less than you are used to using for vehicles with steel wheels. I suggest you use a torque wrench since I have no idea what torque you end up with when you tighten "by feel".

Once you have a wheel off the car, you can remove the center cap without damage by accessing the inside surface of the wheel, and using a large wooden dowel rod or similar soft device to transfer force from a small hammer to the inside of the cap, thus popping it out of the wheel.

Since you have a 2008 your car has tire pressure sensors, so when you switch to the spare wheels you will note that the tire pressure warning light will remain on at all times.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I your spare rims are steel, they may need a different style lug nut.

JeffD

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I second Patrick's suggestion to get a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts. If you tighten them unevenly, you may end up with warped brake rotors on the front wheels. Also, for safety reasons, it is a good idea to tighten to spec. (76 lb ft)

5. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks folks - I've got a torque wrench somewhere from my old days rebuilding engines. I'll use it until I have a good feel for the torque. Both sets of wheels are stock alloy wheels. Is there any reason to protect the lug nuts from damage from the lug wrench?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the lug nuts are reasonably sturdy - I haven't noticed any problems when removing and tightening them.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since I just rotated my wheels myself and you have piqued my curiosity with the torque wrench I broke it out and tried it on my #2 package wheels.
    First I hand tightened the lugs on real good with a 1/2 socket wrench observing proper sequence. They are on real tight and would really have to lean on a 1/2 bar to get them off. But I must say 76 ft lbs is way past real tight and on the first and only nut I stopped since I felt there I might possibly strip the wheel lug. And also if they were on that tight I might not be able to get them off with a regular lug wrench. Have you personally used a torque wrench to 76 ft lbs on these wheels?

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Ed,

Yes, I rotate tires at 5K mile intervals and tighten to 76 ft.-lb. When using the factory-equipped lug wrench to remove the lug nuts in an emergency situation, just set the wrench so the handle is horizontal, and stand on the end with one foot (thus placing your full weight on the end) to loosen the lug nuts. Since the wrench is a bit longer than one foot and you probably weigh more than 76 lb, there should be no problem loosening the nuts!

This torque is relatively low compared to some vehicles; for example larger SUVs usually have a lug nut torque at or near 100 ft.-lb.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, I have rotated the wheels a couple of times plus a couple of home alignment procedures. 76 ft-lb is the correct torque.

My Ford Explorer uses 100 ft lbs.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok thank you very much. I will tighten them to this spec then.