1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rough ice startup when cold

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Duckloads, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Duckloads

Duckloads Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My ‘13 prius v 5 with tech package with 67k miles recently began rattling and shaking when the ice started cold. On a road trip last week, I drove it hard on interstate entrance ramps. I’d go from slow to 75mph at full throttle. I did this several times.

This week, the ice has started as smooth as brand new upon cold start. Perhaps it just needed blown out.

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pull the airbox and throttle body off of it. Check to see how much PCV crud is laying down below the throttle body. It’s more prone to being sucked thru the intake into the engine at cold starts. Clean it all up and install an oil catch can between the intake and throttle body.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably just the normal gen 3 cold soak problem. you can find several threads here, and thousands of complaints.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota has acknowledged "rough idle at cold start", and is pointing the finger at carbon build-up in the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. This is a Canadian Warranty Enhancement Program notification I got, in May of 2017. In the header is "SOSH-W11-1A". Was there a similar notice in the States.?

IMG_9352.JPG
    This notice is for our Canadian 2010 Prius, fwiw.
    The trouble code in the above is P0401 (it's getting cut-off in my pic).
    BTW, regardless of the above notice, my 2 cents: if you're at all mechanically competent, I think DIY is the way to go for this. If you've got the time and patience you can restore your existing EGR system to as-new, for little or no expense.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    m.wynn, bisco and JC91006 like this.
  5. danronian

danronian New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had this on my 2013 with around 100k miles. I cleaned the intake, changed the pcv, and it hasn't done it for the last 20k miles.

iPhone ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.