1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rough start; code for coil pack/spark plug cylinder #1

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ilikesilvercars, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Ilikesilvercars

Ilikesilvercars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Twice my Prius has started a wee bit rough, a la a diesel on a cold morning. Temperature has been below 27 both times this happened. The problem goes away at high idle rpm a/o when the engine warms up. The oil is on the high side of the dip stick, but it doesn't appear much over the top of the recommended range, nor does it appear that the car is "making oil" a la coolant leaking into the oil pan. So guys, my question is what are the possibilities here? Money is tight, so if we could find a simple solution to this problem or a fix I could do myself that would be awesome.

2. MKART

MKART Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How long did the car run the previous time it was on? Because I have heard that if you don't let the car go through the complete warm up session, it can sound very rough the next time is runs. Not a big deal because it goes away the next time you turn it on. Happened to me twice back in the polar vortex last month when I would move it around the driveway to get a different car out.

Hopefully this helps. But again- if you let the car run for quite a while the previous start up, this probably isn't the cause

Ilikesilvercars likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What's the mileage on your car? Are you aware of the ubiquitous cold start knocking problem?

I asked about the mileage because it could also be a dirty or clogged fuel injector, loose spark plug wire, or bad coil pack.

Do you use cheap gas without detergents? I used to get clogged injectors using Costco gas a long time ago, before they started putting detergents in their gas. Had to clean it out with Techron fuel injector cleaner for a couple of tankfulls to clean out the injector.

SCH-I535

4. MKART

MKART Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's it. "The cold knocking start". It sounds really rough and is very loud. Not sure what happens if you let it run, because I always panic and turn it of haha

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Guys, the rough cold start doesn't throw a code.

Try this troubleshooting method: switch the #1 and #2 cylinder coil packs. Clear code (auto parts store can do that for you if you don't have the ability). If a new code points to the #2 cylinder then it's the pack but if the code stays at #1 then it's the spark plug.

MKART and Ilikesilvercars like this.
  6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The key here is to make sure if you have to start it for a driveway maneuver or something else short, give it a minute of running before you shut it off again.

7. Ilikesilvercars

Ilikesilvercars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys have saved my hide I think, or at least my wallet. Both incidents followed a brief driveway reposition. So I will keep an eye on it. Should it continue without the aforementioned cold knocking start issue. Currently the car has 103k on it, so it should have a lot of life left in it I hope. Thank you fotomoto for the tip about replacing the pack. I will keep that in mind when/if the time comes. Thanks so much. If there are any other possible explanations out there, share share.

8. MKART

MKART Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you start it, let it run for an entire warm up period. So just wait until the ICE turns off before you power off. This won't cause the cold knocking start every time. I know that because sometimes I get lazy and say screw it haha but it's best to let it go through the full cycle.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the rough start happens again floor the accelerator and it will smooth right out.

MKART likes this.
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If repositioning your car, try putting it in EV mode and keep it under 10 mph. As long as the HV traction battery has at least 2 bars, you should be able to use EV mode, even when cold.

SCH-I535

MKART likes this.
  11. MKART

MKART Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But be quick about it too. I think it's like a 15 or 20 seconds window after you hit power until the ICE kicks on, then there's no going back

12. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not winter cold, I'm afraid.

My car will decline EV mode below 50 degrees or so.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The ICE coolant temp, among other criteria, has to be satisfied before EV is allowed.

14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are the temperatures stated here C or F ? Kind of hard to tell when you don't state your location on your profile ;-)

16. MKART

MKART Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm assuming Fahrenheit

17. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model: