1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Round trip Denver to Denver

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by BobA, Jul 15, 2005.

1. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sherry and I did a round trip from Denver to Denver... First on I-70 Denver to I-15... found going up the Rockies to be a little tough on the ICE... lost all bars on the battery a couple of times and would have loved a tachometer... the trip down was another story in the green most of the way... stayed over night and got gas in Green River UT... across the desert and about a 1/4 mile from Primm NV... the last square on the gas Gage blinks a few times and BLAAAAA the engine quits and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree.... Sherry looks at me and I say..'BUT'... she grabs the manual as I call AAA only to get the AAA of Colorado... they pass me on to AAA of Nevada (the guy is in a call center in Livermore CA) who doesn't know where Primm is... as I think we are going to die, the temp outside is 105 and a can of gas might get to us in about 2-3 hours.... Sherry says the book says "should this happen, try restarting the car and drive to the nearest gas station"... I push START and we are off slowly to the nearest gas station... making it and as we fill the tank I call AAA and cancel the call... overnight in Barstow and off to Ventura on 126 and 101 where we get gas again... the weekend in Buellton all that soup and a couple of side trips... Monday it's off again and gas in Salinas...a quick stop to see a friend in SanJose ..up 280 to 580 and 880 (or maybe it was the other way) on to I-80 and over night in Roseville... another stop in Reno to see friends get our 5000 mile service (this was our real first road trip) and gas.... gas again in Elko... over night in Wendover.... gas in Wamsetta WY and a stop for the night in Rawlins WY... over all we got 52.9 mpg and drove at or more than the legal speed limit and always had the air on as most of the time it was 90 degrees or more... 102 in Reno... talked to a couple of Prius owners and gave them cards... maybe they will become followers....

Bob Andersen

2. myride

myride Junior Member

so how many miles were on your tank when u ran out? like less than what you expected or is it one of those cases where you had 650 miles and wanted 700 ??? any other problems? ac worked good id say!
    :mrgreen:

3. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not one to push the envelope on running out of gas... Sherry and I have a rule.. 'Whoever makes the managerial decision to pass a gas station and runs out of gas... WALKS' .... this was the closest I've come... and I have had two cars without gas gages... the gage in the 51 has never worked and I have no idea how big the tank is..

Without going to the car and getting the book... I do keep a log on gas and do my own calculations, which are better or worse than what the car's computer tells me... I think that tank was only about 450 give or take... I know it wasn't the shortest or longest leg... just the EMPTYist

As for any other problems there were none... pretty much set the cruise control and watched the scenery... ran the air at about 79 which seemed to be comfortable even as I'd notice the outside temp in the 90's or higher...

Bob Andersen

4. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh Bob, how I do miss that soup. For those of you who have never been to Buellton, CA nor had Andersen Pea Soup I can only express my sympathy. Went there for so many years sometimes thought I might turn green. They used to serve an all you could eat with a great bread while the Andersen family still owned it.

Hi Bob 'e'

From Bob 'a'

5. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nwprius\";p=\"107905)</div>
    the soup still flows FREEly and the bread comes along too... not what we as kids or young adults paid... I can remember the Travelers Special (all the soup, bread and a beverage) 75 cents... a single bowl 50 cents... not sure what the price is today.. I never look at prices :( ... but the deal was for a group to order ONE Travelers Special and everyone else orders the ala carte.. then pass the empty bowl to the travelers special person and he just keeps getting MORE soup!

Bob Andersen