1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Roundabouts

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by LeVautRien, Jul 27, 2004.

1. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is trying to subliminally condition us to want to drive on their own side ;). I could personally go for either way, so long as countries abandon the evil roundabouts! :mrgreen:

2. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why are round-abouts evil? They move the traffic very well and are far bettet and faster than stop signs IF the people know how to use them( the traffic alredy in the roundabout has the right of way). Any comments from the European members?

3. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh no, I was just messing around, as roundabouts are very very hard to find here in America, and, as such, confuse people who've never seen them before.

I, for one, used to live in Australia and had my fair share of roundabout exposure, though not through driving. Here in the US I've driven through roundabouts in Vail, which put them there because they're going for emulating Europe, I'd imagine.

Put your typical American with no roundabout experience at a turn into a roundabout, however, and they might think it was evil :wink:

Just a matter of experience.

4. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree. I have heard so many silly stories of people giong round and round.( probably exxagerated). Where is Vail?

5. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Going round and round isn't what got me at first, it was more getting into the darn thing to begin with. :mrgreen:

Vail is a ski resort in Colorado. Pretty well-known and consistently rated the best in the world, although certainly opinions will differ.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I remember getting off I-70 in Vail before they built the roundabouts. They have really solved the gridlock problem on busy weekend mornings.

New England has plenty of roundabouts, if you care to experience those on this side of the Pond without having to go to my favorite ski resort.

7. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, that's interesting. I'd assumed without thinking that the roundabouts had been there for a good long while.

I didn't know about roundabouts anywhere else, actually. I know I've never seen them anywhere without a direct European influence outside of ski resorts.

8. peart75

peart75 New Member

Hilton Head has some roundabouts.

-drew

9. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ther is one at my street corner in Oakland(rockridge), CA !!! Will post a photo later.

10. Batavier

Batavier Member

Here in the Netherlands municipalities and other government institutions responsible for road maintenance have gone a bit roundabout mad. There are roundabouts at lots of intersections, I don't mind them in the least, but busses and heavy trucks have sometimes difficulties getting past the smaller ones. Some roundabouts even need to be changed, because the fire brigade couldn't get past them...

But in general I think roundabouts make certain intersections so much more safe; plus they're less annoying than traffic lights. Especially at night when there's hardly any traffic. No need to wait for a red light while you're the only 'car' in the area...

What does annoy me is the millions (well perhaps a bit less) of speed bumps or sleeping policemen, I like that name better than speed bumps. I understand speed bumps are sometimes necessary, but often they are way to steep and bumpy. I'd like them to be high enough to prevent speeding, but low enough so you don't have to brake for every single one of them. But maybe when my Prius arrives it won't be as bad, because of the CVT. :)

A nice thing about the roundabouts is the fact that a lot of municipalities try to make them look nice and green. Lots of hedges, small trees and what not are planted on them. In the city where I live all landscaping companies have adopted one or several roundabouts and put little signs with their company name on them. The roundabouts have become a showcase of their abilities as gardeners. :)
    One of the best is a medium sized roundabout with a pool in the center. Too bad the ducks in the pool had to be removed, because they endangered themselves and the traffic. :wink:

I'm saving up to buy a digital camera, once I've bought it, I'll post some pictures if you want. No wait! I found a few pics...

http://priuschat.com/forums/album_showpage....php?pic_id=699

http://priuschat.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=698

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I went to England 10 years ago, I noticed that some roundabouts also had signals to enter them. I guess it was too hard to get into them at certain times of the day. We found them particularly useful. The driver can get in the middle and go around a few times while the navigator figures out which road they are supposed to take :)

12. Batavier

Batavier Member

Signals? You mean traffic lights? Some roundabouts have traffic lights, but generally only the big ones (with three or more lanes), especially when one or two highways 'meet'.

13. cmympg

cmympg Who knows? Who cares?

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are roundabouts in New England, but they call them rotaries and they are fairly scary. Everyone believes that they have the right of way so no one yields getting on or off. This leads to some rather interesting exchanges between drivers. The trick there is not to make eye contact with the other driver. The minute you do so, you give up all rights to be on the road. :crazyeyes:

Going around one more than once is not an urban legend. Been there, done that, don't have a tee shirt. Imagine outside Boston Garden 5 minutes after the hockey game lets out. Confusion reigns and we went around the rotary 3 times before we could get to an exit. My dear spouse prefers not to remember that experience because he was driving. :oops:

14. Batavier

Batavier Member

Hehe, I can imagine. Sometimes things get a little hectic. I remember when the first roundabouts appeared, if there are no right of way signs, traffic that wants to enter the roundabout has right of way. Some municipalities forgot to put those signs up, resulting in dangerous situations. Also people still don't know when to signal with their blinkers. Chaos! :D

15. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Exactly. Sorry, I used the term common in the U.S. :)

16. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Even before your next paragraph, it was obvious you were, at least at one point, a Boston driver. When I moved to VT 25 years ago and needed to drive to Boston, I was warned with exactly that advice!

17. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How did we get from rear defrosters to roundabouts? My head is still spinning. Anyway, it's funny how different the terminology is in different parts of the US. In my neck of the woods traffic light is the common term and the term "traffic signal" might be confused with any number of things including railroad crossings, etc. For that matter I was scratching my head trying to figure out what a "roundabout" was. I guessed from the context what it was but I had to check the dictionary to be sure: the common local term is traffic circle around here. Washington DC has several circles (not surprising since the streets were layed out by a Frenchman) with 3 or more roads converging -- the hard part for me is trying to go straight -- I really have to pay attention or I wind up making the wrong "turn". My county (Fairfax) in VA has a couple of modified circles regulated by traffic lights; all right, left, and U turns are handled by the circle but the circle is also split down the middle for those going straight. NJ also has several circles.

There's an awful intersection called 7 corners near me that would have greatly benefited from a circle. There are actually 7 entry/exit points from the intersection. Thankfully it's been helped by an underpass but it's still an intersection I try to avoid.

18. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Used to be, I'd get AM whine and it would be blamed on resistor-free spark plugs. Rev the engine, and hear more whine.

Maybe some of the electronics are un-resistored to make them work right?...

19. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    From what I've read, a traffic circle or rotary is a primitive kind of roundabout, lacking the two main safety features of roundabouts in most European countries: deflection of the mainline on approach and clear priority to circulating traffic. The very early roundabouts gave equal priority to circulating and entering traffic, so they were supposed to merge - the roundabout was effectively a continuous weaving section, becoming more and more dangerous as traffic levels increase.

The give-way rule was introduced in the 1960s to solve the priority problem - it also meant that roundabouts could work in smaller dimensions, without the need for weaving room.

There was an interesting programme on Radio 4 a couple of months back - I must find out if anyone I know recorded it.

20. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perhaps one of the moderators would like to split the roundabout stuff into separate "House of Pancakes" thread so the original topic is again 'pure'