1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Routing audio cable from aux jack to cupholder?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by foobarro, Jan 4, 2007.

1. foobarro

foobarro New Member

While I figure out what iPod integration approach I want to pursue in the future, in the meantime I'm enjoying the use of the aux input on my 2007 package 5. But one problem - I don't like leaving the iPod in the armrest compartment where the aux input is, simply because I like to manipulate the iPod frequently, to choose the next song, different album, etc...

If I put the iPod in one of the cupholders instead, then I can't close the armrest cover, because the audio cable gets crimped by the armrest cover.

Has anyone drilled a hole through the armrest compartment to the cupholder, or otherwise cleanly routed an audio cable to one of the cupholders from the aux input jack without damaging the cable?

Thanks...

2. rik

rik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foobarro @ Jan 4 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]370677[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that this is a real problem. I leave the cable hanging out, but it makes the armrest slightly wobbly, which of course is not a good solution.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have mine routed out the top. My stereo cable is thin enough to let the armrest close all the way. You might want to try to find a thinner cable.

4. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jan 5 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]371295[/snapback]</div>
    Likewise, my cable is thinner than the height of the little bumbers on the console cover, so it feeds through the crack without a problem. I don't really like it that way, but I'm happy to have the AUX jack in the first place, so it's better than solutions I've had in other cars. I actually never thought of routing it through the side wall of the cup holder...keep us posted if you hear of, or attempt, something like that.

- Doug

5. foobarro

foobarro New Member

Thanks for the feedback - I suppose I'll look for a thinner cable as well; I'd rather not hack up my cupholders etc.. if not absolutely necessary. And I suppose I'm optimistic for some better fully integrated iPod solution in the future anyway...

6. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Couldn't you take the little tray that is in the center console and insert it vertically into the slot towards the front? That will make the front part of the console higher then the back, and give you enough space to have a cable sneak out.

Note: I don't have my car yet, but I remember reading someplace that the tray can be used like I describe.

7. foobarro

foobarro New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hryb @ Jan 7 2007, 06:35 PM) [snapback]372224[/snapback]</div>
    Good hack! I'll give it a try today...

8. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...Speaking of that little accessory tray & the armrest compartment--- just what is the vertical molded "cubby" for, inside the armrest main compartment, at the front wall of the compartment? I realize the flanges that stick out provide support for the accessory tray if you mount the tray in the forward position, vs. the rear position... but they could have just made little fins for that, like along the sidewalls in the center of the compartment... that molded area (above the AUX jack on my '07) seems very specific in design... like the molded cubby found inside the glovebox, that holds the owner's manual so nicely... What is this one for... any thoughts? (Doesn't do a good job, holding my ipod, which I leave sitting in the accessory tray.)
    (I tried sticking the tray into that cubby---it definitely lifts the armrest up too much for my taste, but yes---that would allow plenty of room to let wires out to the cupholders, for exterior ipod placement. But I love the idea of drilling a small hole thru the main compartment, and thru the bottom rim of a cupholder, for more "hidden" wire routing to an ipod sitting in that cupholder.)

9. Conine

Conine New Member

or you could find a longer cable, and do what i first did before i got the dice. just remove the center console and feed the cord from the aux jack through a hole in the console and then under the sliding tray to the cup holders. sorry about my crappy paint drawings, but this will show you where i drilled the hole and how i ran the chord. i had no use for the hole since i got my dice, but now that i have my xbox360 in the car, i am using the hole to run the chord from the xbox to the aux for surround sound.

note:: the blue =ipod
    red = hole
    green= wire

Good luck any uestions, just ask ill try to get you some real pics later.

Attached Files:

10. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Jul 6 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]474262[/snapback]</div>
    It's my FasTrak transponder holder.

11. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Conine, that is pretty much what I'm considering doing... except I want to pass both the audio cable, and the cig-adapter/power cord --- I keep the adaptor plugged into the outlet inside the armrest --- so the hole I drill would just have to be big/oblong enough to let the dock connector's head pass through. I was thinking of drilling up thru the floor or side wall of one cupholder, which would help hide the power cord a little, and thus require less stretching of the pigtail wiring on that adaptor (and thus less stress on the points where the wire meets the dockhead, and the outlet head.)

Manksgloob--my transponder definitely fits there, but I got spotty reception in my last car, when I tried storing it inside the armrest.

12. Conine

Conine New Member

you want to use the ipod dock connector?? pretty big hole or rectangle if you ask me ( ugh in my opinion) i just used a standard 3.5 mm audio jack from radioshack.

13. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I want to power the ipod with the ac adaptor---which plugs into the dock connection. (Not using it to run audio signal, tho---just a regular 1/8" male-male cable for that.) My ipod's battery life is getting low (it's a gen3, I think) and so I tend to just run it 100% of the time, off the ac adaptor. So to pass the connector head thru the wall of the armrest, I'd need about a 1" wide x 1/4" tall opening. Then both the power cord, and the audio cable, could pass thru that 1 opening.

14. Conine

Conine New Member

good luck, i know you may not want to spend $150 but its worth it for the dice as far as steering whell controls and display on the MFD, not having to look at the cup holders and such.

15. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks... I haven't ruled out DICE or VAIS completely... You're happy with your DICE, and haven't had some of the buggy problems I've read about here? (Such as MFD freezing up, having to disconnect the DICE to reset it every so often...)

16. Conine

Conine New Member

nope no complaints so far, just wish that the songs in the playlist would show up on the mfd when i select album