1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RPMs at 75 MPh

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Batavier, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Batavier

Batavier Member

Like the topic said, I was wondering how many RPMs the engine 'makes' when driving at that speed. I know it will probably vary a bit due to the eCVT in the car, but since it's a speed I often use (= maximum speed on the highway over here) I was just curious. :D

Maybe one (or more) of you peeps know. :)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll check Wayne Brown's simulator when I recharge my PDA...damn batteries are dead. Unless someone beats me to it.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think you'll probably recharge them before anyone else ;-)

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Based on what I've read, it should be maximum rpms- a whopping 5,000 :mrgreen:

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That depends. At full acceleration, max RPMs can happen after 45-50 mph. The Classic Prius didn't hit max RPM until 62mph.

Cruise RPM however can be less, and depending on whether you buy into the "undocumented" heretical mode, where MG2 acts at the generator and MG1 acts as the drive motor (reversed roles) to force an overdrive situation, it could be much less. Scanner data tends to prove it's possible.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

flat ground steady state 130kmh should yeild about 2500RPM. It will vary with load and hills etc. but that would be a best guess. The PSD makes rpm very much a guessing game. To watch the rpm on cruise and what looks like flat ground and your asking why are the rpm's climbing and on the same road other direction and the rpm are dropping that tells you your eyes are lying to you on the "flatness of the ground". following at truck at a reasonable distance will change the rpm also, it's just not what most would consider an important reading anymore.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I played around with the THS II simulator tonight (finally got around to charging the battery!).

There's no one answer. At a minimum the RPM must be 262 RPM, even if coasting due to the 10k RPM limit of MG1.

You can run the RPMs up to 5000 on the simulator program and MG1 is just going 7059 RPM while MG2 is going 4208 RPM.

Thus, I conclude that there's no one correct answer. Frank's guess may be really close, but it's darn hard to tell. I think Eisenson got his tach installed and may be able to give us a range of RPMs when at steady state on flat terrain for the ICE.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

9. Batavier

Batavier Member

Ah, thanks all!

I was just asking because sometimes the engine seems to 'race' when I drive a steady 124 km/h on the speedo. But not always it seems, it's hard to determine because it's hard to hear the engine. :) Which is a good thing of course.

Nice link there, Frank! Ta for that.