1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RPod trailers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by spiderman, Jul 16, 2011.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone own or have owned a RPOD trailer? We are kicking around the idea of getting one of their lightweights and pull it around with our 06 Kia Sedona.

Any input for or against would be great! Thanks in advance.

[edit] Another question. Our van has a tow capacity of 3500lbs. I would assume you would not want to pull a trailer with a GVWR > 3500lbs? A few of these floor plans have GVWRs around 3700lbs... would that be too much for the van to handle?

2. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like a nice rig to me Spidey.

I am in Alabama right now for work and have been checking out travel trailers for the heck of it in my spare time to stave off my boredom. One thing I noticed is that they are all very similar and appear to use most of the same components regardless of manufactuer. It also could be that only a few big companies make them and the put different names on them.

I don't recall seeing any r-pod's when I was looking but I did look at some smaller light weight models, and they were nice. With the right floorplan you can get allot of space and functionality.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alabama! A long way from home.

True about the components... and they try to make them as light weight as possible so prone to damage it appears. Amazing space and options for the weight which means a modest mini-van can pull them.... great idea.

How long are you there? Have a good time.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    gvwr is the vehicle fully loaded (2,113lbs with 1,000+lbs of cargo)... you should be fine...

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ I almost want to give you an thank you but need to know your reasoning.

The van manual is pretty adamant about not exceeding the 3500lb limit. The dry weight of the trailer is 2285 and the GVWR is 3732. I can't imagine a couple hundred pounds making a difference.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep in mind the fact that people commonly overload trailers and RVs without knowing it.

7. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The empty weight is just that, completely empty, no water, no LP, no personal items, etc. The GVWR is the max the trailer will handle fully loaded, i.e. full fresh water tank, full LP tank, a couple hundred pounds of personal gear, etc. The actual weight will be somewhere in between. You'll probably never travel any distance with a full fresh water tank, it's useless weight, and most campgrounds have water and electrical hookups.

The R-Pod is made by Forest River which is a very reputable company in the Travel Trailer industry. We've owned both a Rockwood and a Flagstaff Travel Trailer and enjoyed both. The best recommendation I can make is get the biggest one your Van will safely tow when filled with your gear, and if you can swing it, definitely get a model with a slide out! The added room makes a world of difference. Our fist travel trailer didn't have a slide out and it didn't last long before we traded it for one with more room! Save your self some trouble and money and get the slide out model the first time around! Happy Trails...

1 person likes this.
  8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is what I was thinking... that it would be somewhere in between. The dry weight difference between the non/slide out is only 172lbs. I know my wife favors the slide... you know what that means. I am worried about the van's capability though... I just don't know.

9. nitroy2k

nitroy2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    good stuff..