1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RTOD and Check Engine Light in 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kimmybiel, Jul 3, 2021.

1. kimmybiel

kimmybiel New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all,

I have a 2007 Prius that I've had for just over 10 months, and it has 135K miles on it.

While driving probably 35 miles an hour, I got the RTOD and a VSC light, a ((!)) light, and a "Check Engine" light on my dash yesterday. Later, the VSC light and the ((!)) disappeared, leaving only the RTOD and Check Engine light.

I plugged in one of those cheapo O'Reilly OB2 Code Readers and definitely got the P0A80 code for Hybrid Battery System Failure so I'm sure that's one (and hopefully the only) issue. I was told the O'Reilly scanners don't work very well on Toyota Hybrids, and it was saying there were 2 codes, but we could never find where to read the other one.

I'm wondering if the "Check Engine" light indicates anything else in trouble with the car? I was coming up on an oil change but I still had about 400 miles left until I needed an oil change. Wondering if anyone here has any insights?

Hybrid Battery System replacement will happen on Tuesday and I'm sure the technician will do another scan then, so I'll be sure to report back to this thread, but I'm trying to mentally prepare myself. What's weird is I never had any indication the battery was going, I didn't notice any decreased fuel economy (my car was getting 50 on the freeway and 40 on average), and all the lights and things were working just fine.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sam128888

Sam128888 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi I’m currently having the same exact problem as you on my 2007 prius. The RTOD came on along with the VCS and ((!)) lights, and today both the VCS and ((!)) lights have disappeared, and only the Check Engine light and the RTOD are still on. I was hoping to hear about how you resolved the issue, the outcome, and any other info would be appreciated very much.

3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to read the codes.

Brian1954 likes this.
  4. Sam128888

Sam128888 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What do you recommend?

I’ve read that most places you take it to won’t be able to read the codes for exactly what’s wrong with a prius. I’ve also been looking into Toyota Techstream but am not to sure of how to set it up yet. Thanks for the help.

5. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A