1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rubber insert in door well?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by syncmacd, Aug 5, 2009.

1. syncmacd

syncmacd Waxing is Relaxing

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't been able to find this in search, perhaps I'm using the wrong words. On the door inside there is a "well" where we put our hand to pull the door closed. I reached to the bottom and pulled out the rubber insert that lines the bottom. Is this supposed to come out? Shouldn't it be glued down?

2. drspielman

drspielman Grand Master Chief

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it is just part of the car, but it is extremely cheap. I think it should be lined or something....

3. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it comes out so you can clean it...or something.

4. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I assume you're referring to the storage area low on the door for water bottles and such? I would think that liner should come out so you can clean under it in the event of a spill or just to get the normal grunge out a year or two down the road.

5. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think he's talking about the very small crevice in the arm rest used for closing the door...probably removable so you can clean it...I was quite surprised when I realized the little carpet mat in the storage tray under the shifter column wasnt attached to anything and just came right out...weird...

6. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agree - the little rubber pad is no doubt removable, but may be tacked down somewhat at the factory with tape or such. Yours may need more adhesive or a good downward push.

That well inside the handle could capture rain water or if extremely unlucky, a drink spill.

This area IMO is a minor design miscue. I feel it would have been better to simply have the entire handle/hold open at the bottom. Every time I close the car door it seems as if the "hole" was designed for a dainty hand - not wide or deep enough. Can't imagine a big guy or gloved hand grabbing hold - maybe with 2 or 3 fingers. While I'm nit-picking. If they wanted to stay with the flat bottom, the inside part of the handhold should have been rounded in. When grabbing the inside handle with the fingers, the inside portion is completely flat. Not a comfortable or secure feeling. Guess these are the small things that Computer Aided Design doesn't work well. Need a mockup with a human being to test.