1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rubber smell anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bramesh, Jan 21, 2010.

1. bramesh

bramesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes i get a heated thick rubber smell inside the car like electrically heated. Is anyone experiencing this? The aircon is set to reuse the air in the cabin.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have not noticed this on mine. You may want to change the temp controls to outside air once the car is warm (or cool).

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, I have never noticed anything like that, of course most of us do not live in a climate such as yours. I agree with jd, try outside air and see if that helps.

4. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I too get the smell in my prius - at first I thought it was from the diesel truck in front of me, but I have experienced it while driving down my residential street without any other cars around me.

Of course I used to think my Taurus smelled funny too (acutally at 17mpg, I am sure it was a real stinker, lol).

I guess all cars smell, huh :confused:

5. bramesh

bramesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have noticed a vent near the back seat apparently to vent the battery heat. Could it be possible that the battery generates heat and the battery is probably made of some hard plastic or rubber and the smell leaks into the cabin through the vent? If that is not possible then the smell should be entering the cabin through aircon vent from the front.

6. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not from the battery. The vent you see near the back seat is used to bring cabin air (cooled/heated) through the battery to bring it to an ideal operating temp. The air then exit directly outside.

7. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed the same thing. I first thought it came from my WeatherTech All Weather mats while using the lower vents of the heater but changing vents doesn't change anything and the mats spend a few days inside the house before I installed them and never had any smell.

I think you've nailed it by saying "like electrically heated". The smell probably comes from the electric heater that, in some conditions, help the car heater (to use electrical power instead of running the ICE to get heat).

8. jbjr

jbjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V

This exact same issue is happening to my 2009 Prius. I have repeatedly taken it to the Dealership just to have them tell me all is normal and that they don't smell anything. I have people that refuse to ride in the car because the odor stays in your clothing. I have finally had to tear into it myself and it is indeed a PROBLEM. The smell is coming from the two black rubber tubes that fasten to the top of the battery packs. These tubes are there to vent the hydrogen out of the batteries should a failure occur in a battery cell. It appears to me that these are degrading and or have to much plasticizing additive in them. I have pulled them off and they are tacking and smell much like a burnt contactor or breaker. It has been about 4 days since I removed them and the smell is definately going away. I am trying to get Toyota to replace these since my car is still within bumper to bumper coverage. If they won't I will have to come up with a "neutral scent" tubing replacement. I'm planning on sending a sample of my tubes to a laboratory for VOC testing so that I can take the proper course against Toyota. It's been very interesting that everyone I show it to smells it except for the ones at the dealership.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any chance the OP is driving on steep hills when this occurs?

10. theotherone

theotherone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How many miles do you have on your vehicle?

You may want to check your Transmission/Transaxle Fluids.

11. jbjr

jbjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    UPDATE:

I drive on flat land on I-20 in Texas and my prius is a 2009 Touring with 34,500 miles on it. I have been complaining about this odor since about 25,000 miles, however I noticed the smell the day I took it home from the dealer. It had 22,000 on it when I bought it.

I took the car to another dealer and they agreed that there was a bad smell from the black vent tubes. They found that the fan was not working and subsequently thought that the battery may have over heated. They just put in a new battery in and my battery charge gauge is now in the green more often, fuel economy jumped from 39-41 to 44.5 and most of all the new vent tubes have zero odor. I had a chance to smell them before they were installed. The only thing I noticed on them was what is called mold release to allow the rubber tubes to be removed from the mold that they are made in. I'll give it some time and see how it goes. I drive about 83 miles each way to work and 73 miles of this is steady cruising on the interstate.

I don't know if this odor is due to the compound of the vent tubes and subsequent degradation or if it is a true reaction from my previous battery emitting hydrogen from the over heat issue.

12. jdlynch

jdlynch New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JBJR,

I want to thank you for your your persistent investigation into finding the cause for the odor. I have searched Priuschat as well as google "prius odor" and no one claims to have found a solution. Several people claim to have the problem; many others just respond making fun that the smell is in our imagination.

We have only had our pre-owned 2008 Prius for one week and this is the only issue keeping me from loving it. It definitely permeates our clothes and stays with us when we come in the house.

I checked my cabin filter and found it to be brand new. The smell is definitely not from the AC system. After letting our car air out today, then sniffing around for the source of the smell, I did in fact find that it is coming from the battery vent at the back seat.

Is there definitely a problem with the car that is causing this odor?

I guess I will take it to the dealer to have the battery and vent system checked out. My car already has 52,000 miles on the clock; will this be covered under the hybrid component warranty?

13. jdlynch

jdlynch New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    JBJR,

Would you say your rubbery smell was similar to the horse stall smell I have described? From what it sounds like I am almost certain it is the same problem I am having. I just want to be confident that I know what I'm talking about when I am trying to convince my dealer to correct the problem under the hybrid warranty (I hope this is covered)

14. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hm, if I were you, I'd get that checked out. You don't want something to be wrong with your car and it catch on fire or something! The only time I got a rubber smell was when my dad and I drove a brand-new Prius on the interstate. It had one mile and had just came off the truck. That was back in 2008 though.

15. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Another reference to the smelly battery tubes (halfway down the page including pictures):

Prius battery exploration

Credit and thanks to Hobbit.

16. design9

design9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I also have a 2009 Prius and the same thing has happened in my car..I am about to go to Toyota over this. I have read your update..Just curious..Did you ever get the VOC results? Thanks.

17. Prius_dr

Prius_dr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same issue with my 2008 Prius.

I find it very strange that no one at the Toyota dealership can smell the odor.
    My wife drives the car to work and back, she leaves the windows down when its parked in the garage.

I can't sand the odor so I don't drive it.
    What if the odor is harmful ?

There are so may complaints about this issue when you search the internet, one would think a company that says they listen to their customers would do something.

Not impressed!!!

18. CheeseheadPrius

CheeseheadPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I've noticed this electrical smell only a couple times on the same drive. Both were at interstate speeds and seemed to be coming from the rear seat area. The smell stopped, started again after a while and didn't occur the rest of the 6 hr trip. I never had it during the next 6 wks of city driving. Then I did another 6hr drive at interstate speeds and no smell. The car had a lil over 1000 miles when it occurred. My thoughts were the rear seat vent but I guess that's not possible.

19. Hdarji23

Hdarji23 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the smell of a new Prius early in the morning.

20. ownerofprii

ownerofprii New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 2007 prius and have similar issues. My wife also has a prius, and we are now thinking about selling both of these cars because of this issue.