1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rumbling at very low speeds and noise at higher speed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by appick, Oct 16, 2019.

1. appick

appick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got 200k on my 2010 Prius, bought it 5 years ago at 165k. For a while I've been after a rumble at low speeds under 10mph all the way to 1mph you can feel it in the steering and seat. It's tied to speed. At higher speeds there's a fair amount of noise in the front it's gotten louder over the years. I've replaced boat front wheel bearings about 30k ago and I was disappointed to still have that low vibration/rumble. It did get rid of the bearing whirring noise though.

When I put it in the air and let the tire spin I can feel the engine/transmission have a vibration even when in elec mode, when I put my ha d on them. It's rythemic and tied to speed. Am I looking at a set of axel shafts?

Also how much noise should my transmission/elec motors be making at an idle roll with the car in the air.

2. appick

appick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Listened to it with a large long screwdriver. It's definitely the transmission making the bearing noise I'm hearing. When in the air the engine and transmission get a bump to them that you can just barely see but definitely feel. There's no codes tripping yet but I'm thinking it's going to be time to replace the transmission/elec drive units.

I priced them out near me and man are they cheap! I was worried but $200 for a 35kmi unit won't even tap into my beer money. I guess it's not quiet time to upgrade to a model 3 yet...

I still love the car and think this might have something to do with the accident the former owner was in with it. It was either a deer or he rear ended someone. New headlights, hood, and bumper cover I know of for sure. Anywho off to the junk yard next week.

GrGramps likes this.
  3. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    [QUOTE"]Listened to it with a large long screwdriver.[/QUOTE]
    That's a technique my father taught me about 75 years ago and I wonder how many understand what you did?

4. appick

appick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a technique my father taught me about 75 years ago and I wonder how many understand what you did?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was a mechanic for 5 years full time and another 3 part time. I learned that one from my shop teacher in highschool and have used it countless times. I have a stethoscope somewhere but I moved twice in 2 years and now I'm in Southern California and still can't find half my tools.