1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RUMOR: Honda Canada to drop Insight and Civic Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Presto, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    source: Autoguide

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pretty sad... then again, Honda Canada wrote their own death. You can't just raise the price of the HCH-II from $25,800 to its current $27,300 without adding the equivalent amount of content. Also, the Insight is pricey at $23,400. True, we get cruise control as standard equipment while the US model doesn't but forcing people to pay $27,500 for the privilege of traction control and vehicle stability assist is ridiculous (did I mention that it the EX model comes with nav and bluetooth?).

Out of the two, I'll miss the HCH-II the most. I loved driving it (even though it was slower than the Prius). It felt more fun to drive and the 2G Prius and at the time of the test drive, very well priced ($26,200... the Prius started at $31,280 at that time).

The CR-Z looks to be much better value at $24k compared to the Insight. (yes, the Insight can fit more people but good luck making friends that way).

3. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi All,

Its just media noise and speculation; In the end, I would have little to worry about since not much has changed for folks like me.

The word is that these hybrids will still be available for sale to canadians if they truly want to buy one. Of course, they'll likely have to order one because the dealers are not going to have them on inventory let alone as a demonstration unit. In fact, little or no literature on these cars will be released to dealers thus making the act of purchasing one a thing that only people like myself would do.

So, how is this different from what it was before?

Well, at the time I bought my Honda hybrids I had to wait from 45 to 75 days to receive mine (had to order them anyway). The literature rarely does justice to what these cars can do, and the dealer sales and service network never really ascended to the level of knowledge needed to sell and support these cars knowledgeably.

Yes, when the new 2012 HCH arrives I will be getting one for sure. And on this note, very little has indeed changed from my vantage point. ;)

Cheers;

MSantos

4. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    why would you drop 4 seater's in favor of 2 seater?

i guess Honda doesn't think Canadians like utility

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @msantos.... so is Honda going Nissan's way? I can't find a damn thing on the NAH at Nissan dealerships. No car, no posters, no info. Just "here's an Altima brochure. There's *some* info in there".

Also, why do I have a feeling you know sth about the HCH-III...?

6. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi TP;

Yes, and no. All it means is that Honda will not longer be dumping inventory on dealers like they have been doing for the last 2 years. That is all.

Once again, it goes to show us that very few people actually possess the facts and in the end negatively slanted rumors will always travel farther. :(

Here's a little blurb that will not receive as much attention:
    Update: Honda Canada not canceling Insight, Civic hybrids, will order as needed — Autoblog

Ahhh... let's just say that if one invests for the future, then it pays to diversify in the present. :D

Cheers

MSantos

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    icic.

And diversify you have!