1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rumors of New Treo with Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Jul 16, 2004.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What appears to be a photograph of an internal palmOne presentation slide have been leaked on the internet. TreoCentral published the photographs as part of a front page story by Michael Ducker that contained detailed specifications. Shortly thereafter the story was removed, presumably at the request of palmOne.

The specifications include bluetooth. The speculation is that it will be out in October.

Click here for picture and specs.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone else amused by the fact that some employee copied internal documentation using a camera phone and no one noticed? :lol:

[Broken External Image]:http://mytreo.net/img/treo_ace_slide.jpg

The new screen is going to be awesome, and finally with a 1.3MP camera I can use it for something useful.

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just the opposite for me. I can't have a built in camera. Most places I go don't allow them.

I just want a plain Vanilla Verizon Bluetooth Phone :(

4. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

I have seen the graphic you posted on other boards such as pdaphonehome.com in their Treo 600 discussions. I have a Kyocera 7135 and enjoy its speakerphone from its cupholder perch so much that the whole Bluetooth idea is not now very tempting. I do have it coming on my ordered car (on a list for a #9) so I keep track of the phone discussions.

What you posted adds Bluetooth to the Treo 600 and is referred to as the Treo 610 or Ace. So far the only solid evidence of this phone is the noted posting and immediate un-posting of a third party financial analyst reflecting on PalmOne's future.

I agree that not everyone is authorized to have a camera phone, and I agree with this arrangement. Apparently there is or soon will be a version of the Treo 600 without the camera for those of us who prefer it that way.

Last week major magazines ran national ads listing Verizon Wireless among others who carry the Treo 600. This is a new handset for Verizon and a big boost in Treo availability for cellphone users. But Verizon's release of the handset to consumers has not yet been announced - probably July 20. (This is the one with the camera and without Bluetooth.)

I mixed together many products in this post, so please read carefully that I am referring to some products that have Bluetooth and some that do not. For example, no one has said for sure that there will be a non-camera version of the Bluetooth Treo. Hope this helps.

5. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish they would release an SD card to make the current Treo 600 BT comptabile. I got mine fairly recently (last winter) and I hate to get rid of a perfectly good cell phone (especially one that is not cheap). So I'll just have to live without BT. Of course, I don't have a Prius yet, so it doesn't really matter. Though it would be cool if my Mac could talk to my phone which could talk to my car...

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think I read somewhere that the SD Card Slot on the Treo 600 did not have enough power available to run a bluetooth card, so it wasn't going to happen.

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Somewhere along the line, I posted on Yahoo about adding a Bluetooth card to some phone that Verizon sold, and was told that the Handsfree protocol needed to communicate with the Prius wasn't something that could be added later. Moving files back and forth is supported, but not voice transmission between the two, so the add-on wouldn't do any good.

I guess this rule would apply to any phone...

8. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bounty offered for development of Bluetooth driver for Treo 600: Treo Central Article

"So Treo developers, the challenge is up to you. A working Bluetooth driver is a driver that enables the use of a common Bluetooth SD card (Toshiba's, PalmOne's, or Socket's) in the Treo."

9. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought I had read on the Handspring website that they had purposely designed the Treo hardware so it could support a 3rd party bluetooth card in the future. I might be wrong though...

I've heard something similar, that you need a special protocol to communicate with the Prius. But, since no SD card exists yet (that I know of), whomever develops it could just make sure that protocol is supported, no :D? I know, I'm probably oversimplifying...

10. tag

tag Senior Member

I did find that amusing! :lol:

Funnier still is the notion that Verizon will be releasing this phone sometime in the near future and at a price less than, say, 8 thousand dollars (or around 4 thousand with a 50 year contract).

11. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, FWIW, Verizon released the Treo 600 (no BT, of course).

$449.99 w/2 yr contract
    $499.99 w/1 yr contract
    $599.99 w/no contract

Still no word re the Motorola v710 or Treo w/BT. :roll: