1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running 16awg into door?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Joe89, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Joe89

Joe89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello PriusChat,
    Wrapping up an installation for a friend, but I have encountered an obstacle preventing me from finishing.

I can't seem to fish wire through the factory door boot and bracket. I know it is possible, as I have seen it done before.

I cannot use the factory wiring as I have seen others do, as the 6.5's will be receiving ~150w rms... much more than I would trust to the factory wires. Does anyone have any tips?

2. Joe89

Joe89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Must have been tired, didn't see that the 2 bolts around the boot removed the whole assembly after cutting free some electrical tape. After realizing this, passing wire through to the door is incredibly easy.

I figure since I've made an account I'll show a trick I used to improve midbass response, as well as adjust the woofer to clear the window.

You will want automotive weather stripping, which I purchased at home depot. Apply the weatherstripping to the lip of the door speaker. [​IMG]

You will also want to put it on the door skin around the factory 6x9 hole to seal the 1/2" MDF adapter plate and decouple it from the sheet metal.

[​IMG]

I used rivet nuts and M6 bolts to attach the baffle.

The weatherstripping allows for small adjustments to your mounting depth. Without the weatherstripping the 6.5" magnet was too deep for the window to roll down.

The CDT HD62 CF components sound amazing in the car, even with the factory tweeter locations, and the vehicle retains a completely stock look when all panels are attached.

Tweeters were mounted in 1/8" MDF plates, while I put the amp in the plastic storage bin and mounted it with rivet nuts.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Subwoofer to be added soon.

If anyone has alternative methods using something other than weatherstripping I'd love to hear about it.

3. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can definitely use the factory wire for 150w.. it's not that huge of a wattage. Music is also dynamic, so it's not at 150wrms all the time. But thanks for sharing some photos.

4. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks good. I love the way the trunk tray can become the perfect amp rack. Good to know that fishing wires was so easy.

5. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stock wire will be fine.....