1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running in and MPG...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Dozzer, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HI all,

I've had the Prius just over a month now and have about 1,400 miles on the clock.

What's the scoop on the running in period and miles per gallon?

MFD shows my average (3rd tank of fuel) as 48.8mpg (UK gallons).
    That works out at about 40.3 MPG US gallons.

I drive the car "normally", gently with no harsh acceleration and not using the EV. But, I've just started using the OEM EV button first thing in the morning on the way to work as it's downhill and lights for the first couple of miles. (MFD reading is before using the EV button for morning starts)

Ambient temp is around 16 to 20 celcius. Tyres are at 42f 40r (OEM Bridgestone Turanzas)

Typical trips are over 10 minutes.

Any pointers ?

2. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It seems that most of your trips are very short. You may already know that MPG is "very" low for the first 5 minutes or until the car warms up. Therefore for short trips you're not going to get the top end of MPG #s quoted.

What would help:
    Increased tire pressure - lot of people go with 42front / 40rear but you can comfortably increase them to the max sidewall #.
    Try to combine your short trips or limit them.
    EBH on a timer would help with your first 5 minutes.

Search this site for more help - but accept that your MPG is going to suffer with short trips. I bet you 40+ you're getting is mcuh better than other cars.

Good luck,

3. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Anything to watch for dugin the break in period ?

How long is the break in period on a Prius ?

Does the traction battery need to "bed in" a little ?

4. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also read about this "break-in" period too and wondered when something magical was going to happen to my mpg. Some say 3000 miles, some say 5000 miles, but you know what I think it is ?................

It's YOU learning to drive differently. I was exactly the same as you for a while, high 40's, nothing fantastic. But then I started to see 50, then 53, then 55mpg. I recently did 61mpg (see your other recent post), but over the last 2 weeks, I purposely drove the car as though it was my previous Audi. Result.... mpg dropped to 50.5mpg, nearly 10% worse and all that changed was MY driving style. I have my tyres inflated same as you, my daily commutes are a bit longer (20 mins), but as Prius 07 said, short trips don't help at all no matter what you seem to do.

Try something for a week:
    1) Do NOT exceed any speed limits at all. Except for 30mph zones, travel at the speed limit less 5mph, so as not to p**s off other drivers,
    2) Accelerate gently from rest, no pedal to the metal stuff (others don't always do this, but you try it anyway, it'll encourage that "time doesn't matter feeling" when driving a Prius.
    3) Try to do a but of pulse and glide below 42mph - search this site for how to do it, but it's basically just resting your foot on the gas pedal after easing off slightly. Put your MFD display on the car pic to see when you are doing this

Not a lot of advice, but just enough for you to see that you are the real reason for getting good or poor mileage.

PS. Fill up your tank before you start this and one week later fill it up again. We don't have the rubber bladder like US cars, so the readings are pretty accurate. Would be interested to know if your mileage improves.

5. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is it "safe" to top off the tank - short fill it instead of a large fill ?

Does this "confuse" the gauge ?

BTW I live on a short steep hill and since I've started to EV it down the hill when cold (then when I need the ICE on the flat it's working as well as warming up) I find the mileage has imrpved a little.. 1 mpg or so.. the killer is when I come back up the hill at the end of the journey... The hill is just short enough to EV it all the way up leaving 3 blue bars.. I find I can then EV it back down without an penalty the next day as long as the AC is off.

I've also noticed that "time doesn't matter" when driving the Prius.. just gliding along. Mellow....