1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running In ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pinball, Oct 8, 2005.

1. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Greetings from the UK, y'all.
    A question for those who have "Gone Before"......
    I am collecting my Prius in 3 weeks time and have a 200 mile journey home on the freeway.
    Any special advice on running in / first few months of ownership etc etc ?
    I don't plan to go over 55mph.

2. Imaginator

Imaginator New Member

The manual simply suggests to avoid sudden starts/acceleration, harsh braking and kangaroo-like motoring for the first 1200 miles.

I have a hire Prius from Toyota right now and pick up my new one next week (and from UK too - London).

3. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a new (12 miles on odometer) hire Prius too until my 06 arrives. Here are my suggestions now that I'm up to 2,000 miles:

1. Check the tyre pressure before your trip; 42/40 psi worked for me.
    2. Don't "baby" the Prius, but watch the monitor "learn" how to get the best MPG (MPL).
    3. Avoid hard braking
    4. I don't think 55MPH matters as much as avoiding a constant speed; some say new cars require no special run-in treatment, except for the brakes.
    5. The Prius will easily take another US gallon of fuel after our pumps auto-stop at most filling stations. If you fill up early (5-6 gallons) to confirm your MPG that one-gallon fill-up variance will drive you crazy; try to use the same filling station if you can.
    6. Get ready to answer a lot of questions.

Have fun!

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The things that are advised against in the manual could be summed up as follows:
    "Don't drive like a lunatic. Not at first, anyway."

Casual starts and stops, try to keep it below 160KPH, and maintain all four wheels on the ground at all times.

[editted] got my mph and kph conversion confused.