1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

running late to work today, hit the PWR button...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RudeBoiM3, Sep 20, 2013.

1. RudeBoiM3

RudeBoiM3 Do it once, Do it Right!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i've had the car for around a month now and always drive on ECO mode. i was running late for work today and hit the PWR button for the first time the whole way to work. man, let me tell you, this things 'feel's quick on the feet! once i hit 80mpg on the highway and cruise, its the same in any other car :)
    just wanted to share that with the group. thanks and happy friday!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL. Anyone that thinks the Prius is slow has never used the PWR mode. !

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My problem with the Prius is not the acceleration. It is fine. It is the handling. I do not feel confident zipping this thing in and out of lanes and taking curves. This facilitates more sedated driving.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    About four years ago when we were still trying to figure out a lot of things about the Gen 3 Prius I conducted some acceleration tests to find out about the difference between PWR, Normal, and ECO modes. Alas, at full throttle all three modes are the same. The difference in modes is throttle mapping, in PWR mode you have more throttle applied for the first half or so of gas pedal movement which only makes it "feel" as if there is more power. In addition to throttle mapping the ECO mode operates the HVAC system in a more efficient manner. But you should use whichever mode you prefer, I usually use the ECO mode because it operates the air conditioning more efficiently but I occasionally use the other two.

If you want to experience this in the extreme drive a new V6 Tacoma or even a Tundra pickup (my Nissan Frontier is the same), they pack most of the throttle change into the first 1/2 inch or so of pedal travel and not much happens for the remaining 2 or 3 inches. Unfortunately these vehicles have no other modes so your stuck with a vehicle that has a very touchy throttle. I am not sure why manufacturers do this, some have speculated that it is a marketing gimmick.

5. priusually

priusually Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I agree. Freeway driving, grooved pavement plus rain made me upgrade to 17's. World of a difference.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you have a mid chasis, and front stiffening brace? These helped handling in the maneuvers you mention. A rear sway bar will also help.

7. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have stock 17s and I am still not happy.:(

8. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My car is all stock. I do not like the handling but it does promote sedated driving and probably helps with MPG and keep me out of trouble.

9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I feel the exact opposite, it's a slow car and I rate the handles a lot higher than how it accelerates. I've owned and driven many fast and good handling cars. The Prius is pretty darn slow in my book. 0-60 in 10 seconds.. I have a feeling it's the 15" wheels? My Persona with Plus springs rides and handles fine.

alekska likes this.
  10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be time to visit your Michelin dealer. Seriously, the OE tires suck in every way.

11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I find the Toyo's fine on my 17's.

12. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    What have you compared them to?

13. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Just buy the TRD rear stabilizer bar and you will feel much better.

14. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the plus rear sway bar, lowering springs, and 17" wheels. Very happy with the handling over stock. It's like a whole other car.

mrstop likes this.
  15. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the Prius was designed to be fuel efficient. If you drive it to the point that you need sports car handling, then you will probably be disappointed in both the handling and the mileage. As noted above, PWR just remaps the accelerator curve with ECO, PWR and normal all having the same top end.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with this.

The Prius IMO has plenty of cruising power. Infact it's great on open highways on long road trips.

The Prius in not particularly "tossable".

Having come from a Honda Fit, I can say I occasionally enjoyed accelerating into curves, and the quick agile feel of the vehicle.

In my mind the analogy is like flying a small "Spitfire" plane or a flying a 747. There's advantages to both realities.

The Prius is more of a cruiser....less of a spitfire.

The older I get? The less I find myself wanting the ability to take corners fast...and the more I appreciate quite smooth and efficient transportation.

That being said? I may someday look for a used "weekend" vehicle that will allow me to howl at the moon occasionally.

Robert Holt likes this.
  17. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Depending on the driving conditions, handling can be very related to fuel efficiency. The more speed that can be maintained throughout a corner, the more efficient the vehicle is. Being forced to slow down for a corner due to poor handling is very inefficient. My number 1 annoyance is people that drive 70 MPH on the straight sections of a country road, and then slow to 40 in the turn. This forces me to brake in my TSX, and I can't pass on the straight as they accelerate to oblivion. :cry:

18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I find it very easy to hold freeway speeds on the freeway in the Prius around turns.

19. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Power mode? It has a POWER mode?? Is that what that button does! Recently i discovered the lock-unlock touch sensors on the doors and now this!

jdcollins5 likes this.
  20. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Um, it may not be "tossable", but apparently if you defeat the speed limiter and take it to 127 mph it is (very briefly) "flyable" and immediately after that "rollable ", and then "scrappable"!

Airplane analogy very interesting as electric aircraft are now being tested and marketed, but that is another story.

Er, you howl at the moon when INSIDE a vehicle ? I always howl at moon when OUTSIDE the vehicle--wife says voice is too loud for howling in the car!

The Electric Me and ftl like this.