1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running Lights and Battery Use

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by forte88, Oct 29, 2004.

1. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know that it is possible to use Daytime Running Lights by leaving the lights on and the opening of the driver door at shut down turns them off. My other Toyota does the same thing. It seems to me that all the battery power use in the vehical is from the same battery source (unless I'm mistaken). According to what I have been reading, battery drains will decrease mpg's, therefore, doesn't it make sence that using daytime running lights may decrease mpg's?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, by some finite amount. I doubt it would be nearly enough that you'd be able to measure it.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've thought about that. Figured it wouldn't be as bas as, say, running the A/C all the time. I put it in par with a sound system always on.

That's a great avatar.

4. forte88

forte88 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What I was thinking is that if I'm already running A/C (I have to often living near Palm Springs), running the stereo, and the running lights, it all begins to add up.

5. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I drive with my headlights and running lights on plus the air... am happy with the 48-51 mpg that I've been getting per tank... beats the 15 mpg in the Dodge.. and although fun to drive 22 mpg that I get in the '51.. as we are looking at snow over the weekend... the '51 with no heater is put away...

Bob Andersen