1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running out of Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by EZW1, Sep 7, 2010.

1. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Over the past few years there have been a few threads about user experiences of running their Gen2 out of gas. As I recall, some had great problems, others not. I thought, for what it's worth, report on my experience.

On the way to work last week and noticed the last bar was bliinking and noticed I had 590 miles logged and realized I should find a station real quick. About a mile out fom the station several things happened real quickly: audible beep, large red triangle with exclamation point, engine light, and one other light all came on at the same time. I also noticed the engine wasn't running. I was still moving and realized I was running on electrical power. The traction battery was in good shape so I pampered it to the station.

I made the station and topped off the tank. Took 11.7 gallons. Turned the power on, and noticed all the warning lights cleared themselves about 4 seconds after powering on and the engine started normally about 3 seconds later. All was well.

Some numbers related to last fillup: Total miles until I ran dry: 591 miles. Consumption showed 591 miles at 53.9 mpg. Fillup volume: 11.7 gallons.

Hope this informationi is of value to someone someday.

Cheers

Jamez P, andyprius and That_Prius_Car like this.
  2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I fill up at 2 bars to avoid running out of gas. :)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If only the ZVW30, 2010 Prius, had this feature. Sad to say, it was 'engineered out' of existence . . . much to the detriment of ZVW30 owner health and safety. I've done four, fuel exhaustion tests with my wife's 2010 Prius and the most I've found is a very brief, less than one second, 'check engine' light flash.

Bob Wilson

4. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bob, what is "ZVW30"?

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gen III Prius, AKA 2010.

Tom