1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running out of ideas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tan03, Apr 12, 2011.

1. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New here and must say that Pchat has offered lots of info and has good contributors. Have a 2008 Prius non-touring, bought new, almost 3 years of ownership, and it has been great until the past 6 months or so. Used to get 42-43 MPG carpooling (2 people) all the time then 6 months ago, 35-36 MPG. Adjusted tire pressure 41-42 cold front, 40 cold rear, helped a little bit. Checked the 12 volt bat and replaced, back to 38-39 MPG. BUT no better. :( Even though no warning light, took to dealer to have hybrid bat checked out, fine. :mad: Car has almost 60K miles so could it be down to:

1) Worn out shocks? Have Blitz springs and the ride has been rough lately but did the push the bumper test and it didn't float? Tires and wheels combo weight about the same as stock, give or take 1-2 lbs each. Have had this set up since day two and when was getting 42-43 MPG.

2) Dirty air filter? Was replaced at 30K so will replace shortly.

Could those two really cause that much drop in MPG? Anything other ideas? Fuel injectors? "Winter" gas? :confused:

TIA

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    - Have you read This Thead Yet? Yes, btw, s/b corrected to "Thread".

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations) Both trip computer and manual calculation (miles driven/gallon refilled).

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why? 42-43 MPG, because used to even thru the previous So Cal winters.

- What are the approximate outside air temps? 60s-70s recently.

- How long are your trips? Mixed, but no improvements even on long trips of 40+ miles one way.

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving? Mixed again, speed limit on streets, slightly above on hwy.

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location in your profile) Southern California, not too cold.

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.) Flat and gentle hills.

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick) No.

- How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here) Just replaced by Toyota, 1 month old.

Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear? Normal, no pulling.

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15). 215/45/17 Sumitomo with RPF 1 total 1-2 lbs more than stock.

- What are your tire pressures? , running 41-42 psi front, 40 rear.

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.) V8 so not a good comparison.

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking? Almost grandma but still no improvements.

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on? Here and there.

- Are you driving using D or B mode? "D"

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to? Tried them all, on off, auto, etc., no differences, really.

- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute? No.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for answering! A couple questions/comments:
    - On your non-highway trips, how long are they in time and distance? Have they changed from before? Short drives, esp. city ones will kill your mileage.

- Since I went to college in LA, I know traffic is terrible but people also drive fast. How fast are you going on the highway? Has it changed from before?

- Hopefully someone can chime in about your tires and sizes. We do know that the touring w/its different tires and 16" wheels has a slight mileage hit on CR testing (Most fuel-efficient cars). We do know the 3rd gen incurs a ~1.5 mpg hit when going from its 15" to 17" wheels (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../65496-17-wheels-effect-mpg-2.html#post909868).

At what point did you change to their tires and wheels? Did it coincide w/any mileage drop? Did you replace tires due to wear? If so, when?

- The reason why we ask about HVAC use is because of http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/91431-one-3.html#post1287385.

- Don't "warm up" the ICE. You're getting 0 mpg. Yeah, some hypermilers do run it until the ICE stops, but I don't think that's the best way to do it, for most people.

- Don't try to accelerate so slowly that you're trying to stay in electric. That's often not the most efficient way. It's the so called hybrid paradox. You have a battery yet you want limit its use (both energy going in and out of it).

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Do you notice the engine idling a lot? Will the engine turn off when you are stopped at a traffic light? Can you get warp stealth?

Are you running a massive stereo system?

We see this a lot, an "it can't possibly be the 12V because it was just replaced." If you were sold a battery that had been sitting for a long time, or you have a power-hungry stereo system, it may be that your 12V battery is already low and the car is working too hard to charge it. It is often a challenge to convince a poster that they need to run the battery check and give us the result in 3 digits, i.e. 12.3V. A low 12V battery is the most common source of unexpected low mpg. Please run the battery check so that it may be ruled out.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't do that. It does nothing but waste gas.

Did you start paying more attention to MPGs when gas prices started going up?

Check for a dirty MAF sensor. Patrick Wong has some excellent posts on the subject.

8. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've given up on that, too slow for me and most cars behind, so back to how I used to drive when I was getting 42-43 MPG.

Thanks for your response.

9. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, going thru the process of elimination and read about that. Will clean the MAF sensor when replacing the air filter soon. Alignment probably will be last since the car tracks pretty straight. Luckily the streets in Orange County is nicer than LA. :)

10. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine does seem to be "on" more often than before and no massive stereo system. Had a bad 12v bat and know all of the symptoms and this new one is not exhibiting any but will do the check thing again thru the touch screen and post the voltage.

11. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, don't "warm up" the car, 5 second then backup.

No, after buying this car the MPG on the screen became like a game so always pay attention since mid 2008 and now it's this low and when it was even lower 35-36 w/bad 12v bat, it has been driving me crazy.

Yes, will check on the MAF sensor as I continue the process of elimination.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you moved? And you altered your driving style? There's two changes.

13. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, was just saying that there are less potholes in OC than LA. Driving style is the same but was trying extra light footed which didn't work so back to how I drive when I got 42-43. No changes here.

At this point, it looks like these are the next on my process of elimination:

1) recheck the new 12v bat
    2) change air filter
    3) clean MAF sensor
    4) alignment
    5) new shocks
    6) EV mode mod?

Then maybe on to gen III if still doesn't work as had one for a couple of weeks and 46+ MPG was no problem even with more agressive driving.

14. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) recheck the new 12v bat - ruled out: VSCM mode 12.5V; 12.1-12.2V loaded; 14.2V charging

1 person likes this.
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This was after the car sat turned off for many hours, preferably overnight, right?
    I too am confused. You've mentioned OC vs. LA and also:
    It does sound like the trips and trip lengths have changed. How long are city the trips in time and distance? How about the others (e.g. highway or mixed ones)?

As we said, short drives, esp. short city drives will kill mileage. You've probably noticed on the MFD that the mileage for the 1st 5 minutes is usually very low w/a cold ICE.

I wouldn't bother with 5 nor 6. Using an EV button mproperly will hurt your mileage. All the energy ultimately comes from the ICE and gasoline. Sending it from an MG to the battery and then the other way means more losses. Also, adding the EV button can put you in a grey area with respect to the HV battery warranty.

Back to the HVAC/AC question, besides AC usage or lack of, I'm mainly asking about whether you're using the heat at all (temp above LO) esp. when the ICE is cold and whether you're using auto.

As for Gen 3... have you run the #s about the costs of selling your current car, paying more for a Gen 3 just for the sake of getting higher mileage?

16. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, will keep rechecking. The original bat that was just replaced was in the 9-10V range. :eek:

Never mind the OC vs. LA, just OC. Street driving is now 3.3 miles less but less up and down medium grade hill. Hwy driving is now 6 miles less, similar speed.

Never used the heater. Have always used auto even when was getting better MPG and have tried not using AC/auto for months, no difference for me (my own experience).

If these cars are this sensitive to changes, may just might go back to gas guzzler.

Thanks for your inputs will try the air filters, MAF cleaning, etc. and report back.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, the trips have changed. The shorter drives could be the reason. What are the total lengths in time and miles of the trips?

So, are you still using auto? I almost never use it because I don't know what it's going to do. It could cause the ICE to run unnecessarily at low speeds and idling (to provide cabin heat), wasting gas. See the post I pointed to at http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/91431-one-3.html#post1287385. That's why I suggest you don't use auto or any heat w/fan on, if not needed w/a cold ICE at low speeds.

During harder accelerations (when the ICE must run) or speeds >41 mph, heater on w/fan on won't make a difference in terms of ICE on/off, since the ICE must run anyway.

As for your last statement, so, that's the solution? Go to a vehicle that uses more gas?

BTW, one big thing is that the larger mileage figures mean that a given % drop look worse. A 10% drop from 40 mpg == 36 mpg or 4 mpg. The same drop from 20 mpg == 18 mpg, or a 2 mpg drop. Would you pay as much attention if you went from 20 to 18 mpg vs. 40 to 36?

No need to recheck your 12 volt if it did sit overnight before your test.

Do you know if during the battery change, they/you had a backup source to keep the car powered? If yes, maybe it might help to "reboot" the car by disconnecting the 12 volt for a couple minutes. It's been suggested in other "poor" mileage threads before. The theory is that one of the ECUs has entered a "bad state", for whatever reason. Disconnecting the battery will clear it. This should not be something you do on a regular basis.

Sorry, last question: So, the same set of 215/45/17 Sumitomo with RPF tires has lasted you almost 60K miles?

I did stumble across http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/gasoline/summertime_gasoline.html. However, "winter" gas is not the only thing responsible for mileage drop in colder weather, as I stated earlier.

18. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before 23 miles 35 mins, current 13 miles 20 mins. Note that with the longer commute, towards the end I was also getting the lower MPG (38-39, before the 12V bat went crazy then 35-36) vs. before 42-43 on same commute so the problem started before the commute changed.

I've tried not using auto or A/C (except when super hot) for months recently and no change. Per my own experience, I used it all the time and was still getting 42-43 MPG. I got back to using it recently and it didn't bring the current bad MPG of 38-39 down any further.

Just think that a proper hybrid should easily get in the 40s without much effort if the recent/upcoming small cars can get high 30s without being a hybrid.

Toyota dealer replaced the battery and if memory serves me right, I had to reset all the radio stations so I believe it was fully disconnected.

As for the tires, last set lasted almost 40K miles and had about 100 points lower wear rating.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But, you've changed the tires to much larger ones that will result in a hit. I unfortunately don't know how your tires rate in terms of rolling resistance vs. stock. I'm hoping someone else does.

Cool. That's good that the car was left w/o power to reset everything.

It sounds like you've always had 215/45/17 Sumitomo with RPF tires but just are on your 2nd set? Can you tell us the exact model? I see a ton of models at http://www.sumitomotire.com/cars/. Was there a tire model change between the 1st and 2nd set? If so, did it coincide w/a mileage drop?

Tire changes (even to the exact same model) can cause an apparent mileage hit, see Tire Tech Information - Tire Rolling Resistance Part 3: Changes to Expect When Switching from Worn-Out to New Tires.

Since you mention "recent/upcoming small cars can get high 30s", those are EPA highway miles, not combined mileage. See how the 2nd gen Prius compared at Most fuel-efficient cars vs. Most fuel-efficient cars and Best & worst cars review, fuel-efficient vehicles..

Care to cite any of the vehicles you're thinking of?

BTW, these guys are in LA but I'm sure they don't drive their cars for good mileage and I'm sure they rotate drivers.
    http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/04/big-list-of-fuel-economy-march-2011.html vs. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-edmunds-long-term-test-wrap-up-04-prius.html (they didn't change their wheels)

20. tan03

tan03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 17" wheels have been on the car since day two so I was satisfy with 42-43 MPG as I was expecting it and it was like that for 2.5 years.

1st set of tires = Kumho Ecsta AST, lasted almost 40K miles
    Current set of tires = Sumitomo HTR Z, almost 20K miles so far

Current tires were getting 42-43 until about 6 months ago.

The chase continues...