1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running out of time to get my actuator replacement paid by Toyota’s special “warranty”.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Xtina2004, Aug 2, 2023.

1. Xtina2004

Xtina2004 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please consider this a rhetorical question. I’m not trying to be dishonest, I just want the brake actuator assembly to totally fail by August 21, so that Toyota will pay for the repair. Recently purchased a 2013 Prius with 77,000 miles and a new big battery (snowbird car so the battery failed early). Love it. Unfortunately, the dreaded brake actuator whirring noise turns on every 15 to 30 seconds, and a couple of hybrid mechanics have confirmed that it needs to be replaced. The Toyota “special” warranty that they created to fix this known design flaw has a 10 years age stipulation that is about to expire on August 21. Toyota will not replace it until it throws a code, which it is not yet doing. We all know it needs replacing, but they refuse until they get the code. So my question is, is there any way to break this faster so that it throws the code before August 21? ? Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Every 30 seconds is not that bad, however every 15 seconds is bad. Try to do a brake calibration, need special software for that though. It may not finish a calibration cycle and fail in the middle of it

3. msg4life

msg4life Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    There is a way to trick the system but requires access to the break system under the hood. Let me say this...I tried to point out while back how to do this and get the warranty.. because toyotas new system makes no noises and is amazing vs their original noisy one that leaks. But I was attacked being called dishonest.. people protected toyota. Search my name it my still be posted.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pressure hold-up period on a good system is hours, so the only difference between 30 seconds and 15 seconds comes down to whether you consider one more awful than the other.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not bad in the OPs situation only, once every 30 seconds won’t produce a code just yet, once every 15 seconds, it should throw a code very soon

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are lots of things that can go badly wrong with a car and not be reported by a code. When you can tell you have a problem, you have a problem, code or no code. When you can tell you have a bad problem, you have a bad problem, code or no code.

If you have a problem and a code comes up to help you diagnose it, that's gravy. The codes can be helpful that way. They don't relieve you of responsibility for noticing when the car's broken.