1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running power from 120V inverter in back to centre console in front

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ErikJ, Jun 5, 2018.

1. ErikJ

ErikJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi guys, I want to run an extension cord from the inverter I have mounted in the 'hidden compartment' in the very rear of the car to the centre console. I currently have the cord run through the plastic cover above the 12V battery into the rear cargo area and I just pull it forward when I want to use it, but I would prefer a cleaner solution.

My current plan is to run the cord alongside the HV battery, under the right side door sills (I know there is an existing harness running on the left side but I haven't pulled up the right side) and then underneath the glove box, under the central storage area and into the centre console.

My question is: Has anyone installed an inverter in their Prius in this manner? Is there a better way to run the power?

Edit: The inverter has a remote power switch which I will also be running alongside this

Thanks!
    Erik

#1 ErikJ, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I didn't do anything fancier than an extension cord with a three-outlet end, though I did try to make the remote switch blend in at the dash.

-Chap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  3. ErikJ

ErikJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey Chap! Thanks for showing your setup. Can I ask for some more details re: where you got that nice switch and how you wired it?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I shot a bunch of stills and vid clips at the time, intending to make a little video of it, and just haven't ever gotten around to editing it down. The switch was this one, with some internal mods. It ships as a regular push-once-locks-down, push-again-pops-out switch, but the inverter I'm using expects a momentary switch (the inverter itself turns on when it sees the first momentary push, off when it sees the next one, or the power goes out). After taking the switch apart, I was able to see the little mechanism that made it a lock-on switch, and just kind of bend it until it wasn't any more.

The switch has two LEDs, the bottom one intended to light up the identifying legend (tapped into the dash illumination, I used the headlight-washer connector which is free behind my dash because I don't have headlight washers), and the top one to light when the switch is on. I had to cut the internal traces linking the top LED to the switch itself, and connect it to the remote indicator circuit from the inverter.

The inverter itself has a modular-telephone-style remote jack on the back. In the corner of this picture you can see a nice breakout board I was able to find from modular-phone to screw terminals, and that's how I got from the phone-style cable from the inverter to the bulk cable I ran up to the dash. I got the breakout thingy from Galco. Those ATM fuseholders too. ASI makes them.

[​IMG]

A cool feature of the factory remote switch for this inverter is a feature you can enable to sense a certain 12 volt circuit and allow or inhibit the inverter turning on. I replicated that here ... the white wire you see from the breakout board to the 1 amp fuse is just the sense wire for that, so the inverter will only turn on when the VCM-06 says it can. (That's the only wire you see at the breakout screw terminals because I hadn't run the dash cable yet.)

That entailed cutting one trace on the breakout board and soldering on a resistor, which I stuck on the underside where you don't see it.

With that remote-inhibit feature, I didn't need any separate high-current relay for the inverter input. It always has 12 volts through the fat cable at the 80 amp fuse, but it shuts itself down by the remote inhibit feature when the car is off.

I know that leaves a bunch of things unspecified ... I just haven't had time to put that video together. I don't know if you've got the same inverter, or one with the same remote pinout....

Speaking of pinouts, flat phone-style cables like the one running from the inverter to my breakout board come in two styles, straight through or crossed. Obviously you can make either one work, but you'd better know which one you've got. :)

-Chap

#4 ChapmanF, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    ErikJ and Yea Right like this.
  5. ErikJ

ErikJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Chap! Thanks a million for the detailed information. I'll definitely be getting my hands on some similar fuse holders, those look very clean and professional.

My inverter also comes with a modular phone-type connection, with a common positive wire and 3 return wires, one for the momentary switch, the status LED and the fault LED. I'll probably end up getting the same switch as you and making the same modifications!

If you do get a chance to make that video, I think many people here would appreciate it!

I'll be sure to make a post with my final results.

Thanks!
    Erik

Yea Right likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, your inverter has a fault LED circuit too?

You could probably swap the top LED in the switch for one of those red/green bicolor jobs....

-Chap

Yea Right likes this.
  7. ErikJ

ErikJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a great idea. I'll probably end up getting an extra switch just in case I ruin the first one experimenting!

On my lunch today I pulled up most of the trim in the rear hatch and down the right side of the car, looks like there's plenty of room in there beside the washer fluid hose to run the 120V to the front. I'll take some photos of my installation and post them when I finish!

Yea Right likes this.
  8. ErikJ

ErikJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Found a leftover piece of NM 14/2 cable so I decided to use that. I started by running the cable from the rear to the front for now, tomorrow I'll pull the center console and run it inside! Photos attached .

Attached Files:

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    NM will probably do ok, I hope, considering how frequent those hold-down clips are ... I mean, how much flexing can it get, really?

Still, car and boat makers do use stranded wire exclusively for a reason ... and another way to look at the hold-down clips is: that's how frequent Toyota made them, even knowing they were going to use stranded wire.

-Chap

10. ErikJ

ErikJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's true. It seems pretty solid, I'll probably open it up again in a few months to check on it.