1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Running tire inflator directly off the 12V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tsair, May 11, 2012.

1. tsair

tsair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all,

Had a technical question. I have a tire inflator that runs directly off a 12V car battery (it uses alligator clips to connect directly to the terminals). It draws more than what most cigarette adapters can supply, which is why you have to hook it up directly to a car battery.

What would be the proper way to use this on a Prius? Hook it up directly to the small 12V battery terminals, and then turn the car on to READY? And then start the tire inflator?

Thanks,
    Ray

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I would do, or at the jumping points under the hood.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Jump point under the hood would be the best/easiest. I wouldn't put the car in "ready" though. The pump could generate spikes on the 12V system. As long as you don't run it for more than 30 min. it shouldn't drain the battery much.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you attach it directly to the car battery, you have voltage. No need to start the car unless you'll draw so much power that you think you'll deplete the battery, which a tire inflator isn't going to do unless you're inflating a whole lot of tires.

Of the inflator's designed to connect straight to a car battery, it should have a fuse.

5. Myself248

Myself248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just blew my lighter socket fuse doing this. My little compressor draws a ~30A surge for ~1S on startup, then 18A while running. Hasn't been a problem for any other car, where the sockets are usually fused at 20A, but in the Prius they're fused at 15. Oops. And they're those miserable low-profile fuses which are just starting to trickle into stores.

So. "Powerpole accessory connector straight to the battery" has been on my car ToDo list for a few weeks, guess it gets bumped up to high priority. One in the rear, one in the front? Le sigh. Got some nice Airpax DC breakers for the project, though, so I won't have to replace anything next time stupidity happens.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don't need to connect physically to the battery. There's a connector block under the hood, near the fuse box, which has a direct 12V from the battery. This is easier and safer (no chance of a spark igniting hydrogen gas).

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At 18 amps, that product is abusing the socket, which was not originally designed for such currents.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Following basic circuit safety rules, running any circuit at 80% means that it shouldn't consume more than 16A if it's a known 20A circuit requirement.

9. samdaman

samdaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Rule 1: start the pump before connecting the pump to the tire.

The back-pressure from even a partially inflated tire increases the pump starting current by a huge amount.

**mod note - merged and fixed quotes**

HTMLSpinnr likes this.