1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

running total of the MPG

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by ma2288, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ma2288

ma2288 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I used to have a 2009 Prius package 6 and and I really liked the visual of the running total MPG until you "cleared" or reset everything. You could see at a glance the total miles, current, MPG, and an average MPG (running total). I now purchased a 2012 Prius V package 5 (non ATP) and now I can't seem to see the total or average MPG. I see the total miles, current, and history but I don't see anything now that shows me the "trip", running total, or average, whatever you want to call it, of my MPG. I see what it was during the previous minute and five minute increments but not the over all average MPG and I really miss that. Tell me I am just not seeing it and where I can find it. THANKS!!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If the Prius v is like the Gen III Prius you have to use Trip A or B as a running total MPG. I know what you mean since I had a Gen II as well but it's not like the Gen II you had where it keeps its own running total.

3. ma2288

ma2288 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I guess maybe I am still not explaining myself right. My 2009 Prius had the visual that said My average MPG was say 48MPG. as my driving changed, better or worse, the "average MPG would change. I could turn off the car and the next time I drove it, I could see what I had been averaging as far as MPG goes. It would keep that "history" until I hit reset, usually when I filled the tank. Even when using the trip A and B I still don't see what my total, "running" average MPG is. Is that gone?

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This picture shows the average in Avg A. I don't have a Prius v so someone else who has one can maybe help you but it's there. have you checked the manual?

[​IMG]

5. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In the 2012 Prius v (wagon) there is a Display button on the steering wheele that changes what showes up in the MPG area of the dash. One of the options it cycles through is blank and nothing shows us in that area. But that in on the Prius v wagon.

You should check your Owner's Manual and then if you still need help post your question in the Gen III forums.

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I thought they said they have a Prius v? Or are they confusing the v with the Roman Numeral V of the 2010, this is nuts Toyota! lol

7. ma2288

ma2288 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OK...well now we are getting somewhere. I was looking on the navigation screen and not up on the dash. I went out and looked again and I see tripA and the miles but to the left where it should say average are just ---.- (dashes) and also on my navigation screen where I was looking first I see "Best" where it should give my best mpg, that also just has the ---.- dashes, so something is not quite right.

8. ma2288

ma2288 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    BTW...THANKS for the replies. I really do appreciate them. I just love this forum. Great folks using it :)

9. ma2288

ma2288 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I do have the Prius V (wagon) ..with a package 5(non ATP)

10. ma2288

ma2288 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks...I do have the Prius V (wagon)...I will look at the steering wheel and see. I have just owned this for three days and have only driven it 300 miles so I am still learning about it. I hate to call the dealer and I did look in the manual but didn't see or couldn't find what I needed. I knew the great people of this forum would get me the answers I needed...and they did. I'll keep everyone posted on what I find next....THANKS ALL!!

11. ma2288

ma2288 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Case Closed...I learned at least two things here. First the average mpg is now located up in the dash and not on the navigation display and second the button on the steering wheel that changes the display for Trip and what what changes by rotating through the menu. Thanks all!!

12. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's Prius v with a small v not a big V by the way... Using the upper case only makes it confusing for people on here at times since in 2010 they used roman numerals for models.

1 person likes this.
  13. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm sorry for not reading very carefully ma2288. I had a late night last night and I must still be warming up my eyes. Congrats on the new Prius v!

I found the correct section of the Owner's manual on page 198 - 204. Wow it gets a little complicated when you get to the SET function. Just read up and play with the Disp and Trip buttons.

1 person likes this.
  14. ma2288

ma2288 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The more I read posts from drivers of the v with the ATP, the more I am mad at myself for not waiting to get one with it. I sold my 2009 package 6 in one day and not knowing how dificult it would be to get what I wanted was surprised at how hard it was to get even a v package 5. I thought I could just drive in to a Toyota dealership and they would have plenty of different ones available. I live in West Michigan and the only v with a package 5 was a blue. I originally wanted a red, but color really was not all that important, then I found out one with an Advanced Technology Package was "states" away and it would take several days to get and they don't trailer them and my "new" car would have 1,000 miles on it...I just took what I could get that night and got the blue. I am not dissappointed just that I am jealous of the ones that have the ATP. I drove 75,000 miles on 2 1/2 years with the 2009 and the ONLY thing I had to do was buy a set of tires and change the oil and filters. It had been the best car I had ever owned. I hope I have as good of luck with this new one.

15. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Why didn't you wait for them to get you one from Japan. I don't know how long does it take but when I ordered mine in Canada (not the top end package, but a notch UP) I put a condition "<25km or no deal"
    dealer got me one from Vancouver, when it arrived it had 2km on the odometer.