1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rural Mail Carrier seeks advice on Pruis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by daisyday, Mar 17, 2008.

1. daisyday

daisyday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Can Pruis do it ? Stop and start 505 times per day, 6 days per week....Heat of summer and cold of winter in Wisconsin? What will my mileage be? How strong is the braking system....?How tough is the transmisson/drive train? Any advice would be great. Currently use a 1994 NIssan 4wd SE6 PU. Well maintained at over 205,000 miles by son who is a great mechanic. Uses 7-8 Gallons a day on 53 mile route. Looking for alot better gas mileage, but savings in gas has to make the payment on the pruis. THanks

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, I seem to recall that there is a prius chat member who is a mail carrier... the car got a little beat up, from bumping mailbox posts, I assume, but they were happy.

Start/Stop driving is where the Prius does an excellent job. I'd suggest immediately replacing the OEM tires with REAL all-seasons, or swap good snow tires with good summer tires each year.

I'd make a wild guess and say that, if you drive reasonably similar to other postal carriers I've seen, you might get by on 2 gallons of gas per 53 mile day... at $4 per gallon, that's a savings of $24 per day... or $600 per month (5 days a week and 4 weeks a month). Hmm, that's about a Prius car payment.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and other offers may apply. Offer not valid in Kentucky, Wyoming, or Alpha Centurion. See store for details.

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out posts by Timm from Wisconsin.

http://priuschat.com/forums/wi-wisc...g-wisconsin-state-local-forum.html#post350783

http://priuschat.com/forums/wi-wisc...wisconsin-state-local-forum-2.html#post354925

http://priuschat.com/forums/wi-wisc...wisconsin-state-local-forum-2.html#post355935

http://priuschat.com/forums/wi-wisc...wisconsin-state-local-forum-2.html#post477636

He claims an improvement on his mail route from 8 MPG with his old car to 38 MPG with his Prius.

If you see a similar improvement you'll be looking at less than 1.5 gal per day.

You may want to try sending a message to Timm to see if he has further information he can share.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Rural Mail Carrier seeks advice on Prius

Every time the local mail truck comes by and I hear its farty
    little exhaust pipe vrooming as it hops from box to box, I think
    how much better that driver's life would be with a hybrid. Pure
    electric to drift between all the short stops, and kicking in
    just the right amount of ICE for the longer shots. It is *totally*
    the right application.
    It might be a little difficult finding a right-hand-drive version
    of the Prius in this country, though.
    _H*

5. daisyday

daisyday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for your input. Diana

6. daisyday

daisyday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for your input. I contacted Tim Diana

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm sure a mailman would love to have time to "drift" between mailboxes.

How about a Honda CT110 postie bike? These things are bullet proof but will require cold weather gear.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

But how many packages can you put on it? Securely locked against theft?

9. Guzzle_Knot

Guzzle_Knot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While I think a Prius would be great for the stops and starts of delivering mail, I wonder if it is high enough. Could get tiresome reaching up to all those mailboxes.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but I think the largest issue is whether OP is able to and can get used to driving in the right passenger side seat while the steering wheel, gas and brake pedels are on the left driver side.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They do it all the time.

Tom

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure every person can. I can see how it may be much more difficult, if not impossible, for a shorter person.

BTW, is it legal for someone to drive like that? Hard to imagine that it is.

13. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    daisyday, I have driven my 2007 on my route for a year. My route is about 73 miles with a 10 mile round trip to the Post Office. 19 miles of dirt or something a day. The rest is part urban and part highway delivery. Right now I am approaching 36000 miles with an overall average of 42.96 mpg. Every tank of gas is in an excel spreadsheet. First thing, I haven't touched the brake pads and probably won't for another year or two. The route mileage is about 21000 per year. Gas mileage is nice, but the safety of the Prius is even better. Every box all I hear is silence. Cars approaching from front or back are easily heard and avoided. People can shout and be heard if they forgot to mail a letter. I have option 1 for the backup camera and the smart key, love them both. Other rural carriers have moved the console back to get their left leg to the pedals. I made my own conversion for brake and gas. I sit on the right and drive, buckled in, with my left hand. Your EMA might cover the payments. Mine covers payments, gas, oil, tires, insurance, tags, taxes, etc. Want to know more? And I'm Jerry, Hi !

TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if you could order an Australian spec Prius and get a permit for mail deliveries?

This is done here with rubbish collection trucks, they get left hand drive vehicles from USA. Also street sweepers so why not mail delivery? Only problem is selling it when it's time for a new Prius.

Duel control pedal conversion wouldn't be hard to do and driving instructors have it done all the time, the steering is another story.

Godiva, I was thinking mail rather than parcels.
    This is a CT110 postie bike with smaller bags than the ones I am used to seeing. As you can see they have good power for a 110cc bike and they are often ridden for 70k to 80k km before sold at auction. Even after this they sell for a good price, it seems they are imposible to kill.
    [​IMG]

15. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    The right-hand drive models I've seen from some global importers had 50000 to 60000 miles on them. Didn't want to lose that much warranty. Rural mail carriers in the U.S. are exempt from seat belt laws if they don't have a steering wheel on the right side. The exemption is only from the first delivery to the last, then we must drive from the left side with seat belt on.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol, don't take it the wrong way, but I think that's pretty funny. Would have thought that they'd make you put a big sign on the rear -- something like the WARNING STUDENT DRIVER signs you see.

17. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Most days it is pretty funny. I've had a bright flashing yellow light on the roof and signs on the back and sides of the vehicle. And still these people wonder what I'm doing on the side of the road with mail in my hand. Not to mention old ladies and gentlemen who can't bear to cross the center stripe to go around me. In a fatalistic way I am sure that someday one of these dumb-dumbs will take me out. I just can't figure out when. Jerry

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol, now I realize one reason why I find the whole thing kinda funny:

When I think of someone driving a car from the passenger seat, it reminds me of the picture of Rosemary Woods (Nixon's secretary) demonstrating how she may have accidentally caused (erased) that 18 1/2 minute gap in the Watergate Tapes.:p

Rose Mary Woods Dies; Loyal Nixon Secretary (washingtonpost.com)

Attached Files:

19. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Tom, here's one more laugh. I did the stretch for a year, then drove right hand mail jeeps (what a piece of crap) for 6 or 7 years. My worst memory of driving from the right with left hand steering is getting a cramp in my left leg. Now you're really stuck. You have to stop, but the leg you need has a mind of its own. The pain screams up your leg, you have mail or packages in the way of getting your right foot to the brake. So you creep along at idle and try to work it out. Or your foot is on the brake and cramping while you dive for the shifter to slam it into park. In the Prius I lean left for tight turns but otherwise drive with my elbow on the console. Cheers, Jerry

20. daisyday

daisyday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Rural carriers mostly drive in this manner. Very few have right hand drive vehicles. See posts by "Timm". It's do-able, tho the height may be a concern for a short person like myself. I was more concerned if the Pruis could handle the abuse of a Rural Mail Route and what maintenance would I expect to have. Much of what I've read so far sounds promising. I had 85 & 86 Toyota Tercels that I used on paper routes many yearrs ago. 300,000 on one of them. Well built cars at that time.