1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rush in the Boneyard--XM 41

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Jul 29, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today and tomorrow (July 29/30) XM Radio on Channel 41--The Bone Yard is playing 420 Rush songs in a row!! Probably most of you won't care a lick, but for me this is like an early X-mas.

2. hiram6

hiram6 New Member

I'll tune in, Rush rocks!!!

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

I do love Rush, and having XM but not having a chance to check it out yet, I hope today they are still playing their new songs on every hour, since I'd like to check it out. Their previous album wasn't all that great in my opinion, which is really sad because almost all their others are beautiful.

-m.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bought the last couple of albums too, but songs like "Distant Early Warning" or "Time Stand Still" just don't show up anymore...

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean Vapor Trails? Let me tell you something about my experience with Rush. Every time they put out a new album I buy it the day of release in huge anticipation. Every time I listen to it for the first time I'm a bit disappointed. Why, I think it's b/c every album is different. They are constantly reinventing themselves musically and lyrically. I had the exact same feeling with Vapor Trails...esp. the first song which starts out with this loud almost asyncrynous cacophony of guitar and drums.

But, now on probably my 40th listen, but every since my second or third listen, I've moved it up to something like my 4th or 5th all time favorite album. The lyrics, as always with Neil, are deep, well thought out, and much more personal (since they're heavily based on Neil's life and the deaths of his daughter and wife and his subsequent adventures in self-discovery). Yet they keep in the theme of the past in not getting desperate and turning to religion for an 'easy out' to the pain and disappointments. If you don't own the album you should give it another few listens, study the lyrics, and lemme know what you think after that.

The reason I'm not sure what album you mean is b/c they just released Feedback--a compilation of cover tunes that's much better than I would have expected. The album before that was Rush in Rio--a live concert CD and also a DVD of the same name recorded during the Vapor Trails tour.

Anyway, as you can tell, I could go on all day about Rush.

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

haha, yes I did mean vapor trails, and yes, I suppose I do need to give it a few more listens and give it some time to see if it grows on me. I wasn't aware that Feedback was cover songs, I'm very intrigued now. I didn't pick up Live in Rio, but I did get to see them in concert in Detroit back in...hmm, 1996 I believe it was. That was the concert where they played the full set of 2112, which was hands down the best concert experience I had. Now if only I could get to hear them do "Xanadu" in concert, I'd be complete!

-m.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you read Neil's "Ghost Rider" yet? If not, pick it up (I say buy it, but just check it out at the library if you'd rather), grab a box of tissue and stick a Rush CD in the player and start reading. It really increases your appreciation of Vapor Trails dramatically.

Read about Feedback at Rush.com Some great titles on the album...they describe it as a compilation of the stuff that they tried to play when they were starting out and that influenced who they became. Catch the current tour if you can...really good stuff...3.5 hours of music (but no Xanadu) on the 30th anniversary tour....maybe their last though I pray that it's not.

8. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Thanks to Evan's heads-up, I was able to catch about an hour of the 420 last night on the way home and another hour on the way in this morning. So many songs that I haven't heard since college. Amazing how 20 years later, I enjoy them just as much as I did then. 30th anniversary?? Geez, I'm getting older than I thought....