1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rush Limbaugh vs Michael J Fox

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tleonhar, Oct 26, 2006.

1. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Michael J Fox filmed an ad for a MO senate candidate supporting embyronic stem cell research. During the taping, his Parkinson's was acting up to an extreme. In a reaction to his ad, Rush Limbaugh on his radio program made the suggesion that he was either acting or off his meds. The result has been quite a media frenzy. Like to hear everyones take on this...

2. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd say...

... that Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot.

How original. :lol:

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Scumbaugh.

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I told my wife about this today her response was "what an idiot". I could not have said it better.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Flush Rush.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I caught some of an interview Michael J. Fox was doing on the news today. His Parkinson's was quite obviously acting up. Now it is easier for Fox to control the aspects of an interview. He can time his meds and they can delay, etc. I know Fox has a particularly aggressive form of Parkinson's. I'd say....that's as good as it gets.

And my opinion of Rush is much lower and less polite than those who have posted before me.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Small personal story.... My cousin has the most aggressive form of MS. Sad story. Anyhow, some years back he was going to get brain surgery to help alleviate the symptoms. He was really worried about it - brain surgery is risky. So his surgeon put him in touch with one of his former patients, to allay his worries. Michael J Fox called my cousin! That's a real guy.

8. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I think that it's entirely possible that Fox delayed his meds or exaggerated his condition for the sake of the ad, but no matter what the situation, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

Limbaugh shouldn't have even said anything about it, it was a no-win situation for him. But I bet he's happy he did because, like Coulter, he likes to say outrageous things just to get more attention.

Vince

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 26 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]339113[/snapback]</div>
    Agree 100%, not something I would have said but the knee jerk reaction here means Rush wins cause he just got more media exposure. <_< ;) Never have really cared much for the guy although he does have a very keen political mind that ferrets out issues others overlook or ignore.

Wildkow

10. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 26 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]339147[/snapback]</div>
    But the people in the know, unlike our car experts here, say that being off the meds makes the patient freeze up, not flay about. I do agree with the comparison of Rush with a ferret. Or is that a weasel? There is somebody "winning" here? How cynical!

Rush is a model of Conservative Christian ideals. I can't wait for the next episode of "Kick the Gimp!" Keen!

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Oct 26 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]339075[/snapback]</div>
    The ultimate example of free speech. MJF is free to do his thing. RL is free to do his thing too. What is the big deal?

I would hate to think the MJF willingly exacerbated his symptoms - that would be disgraceful - but he is free to do his thing. I wonder why he entered the political fray at all. I would have hoped him to be "non-political" in his efforts to find a cure for his disease. By entering the arena of politics I think he has done himself and his search for a cure wrong - but again he is free to do what he wants. I would have hoped he kept politics out of Parkinsons Disease - that in my opinion would have been the best thing to do. Kind of like Lance Armstrong and his search for a cure for cancer. I just do not see him making a political advertisement for either party.

Once MJF entered the political arena with his disease as his lead - RL had a right to question why he was using this particular venue - and I think he has a point here - the same point that finds other "celebrities" championing thier causes that involve diseases and cures outside of politics.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct, 11:06 AM) [snapback]339324[/snapback]</div>
    This demonstrates how completely out of touch you are with reality. Fox has made ads for both Dems and Reps. He is completely non-political. His only cause it to promote stem cell research.

Try Google dbermanmd. You might learn something.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 27 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]339324[/snapback]</div>
    Case closed!

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 27 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]339324[/snapback]</div>
    Michael J. Fox appeared in an ad for Arlen Specter's campaign in 2004. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_J._Fo...gn_Commercials)

So he's not interested in whether someone is a Democrat or a Republican. What he is is a strong advocate of stem cell research. And that is a political issue. Congress passed a bill (which was vetoed by the President) making it legal for the Federal government to spend Federal money on embryonic stem cell research that uses embryos left over from in vitro fertilization procedures.

15. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 27 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]339324[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe he believes that stem cell research is the best opportunity for the discovery for a Parkinson's cure. It's not a secret that the republicans throw up roadblocks to this type of research. Considering that he doesn't have the luxury of time and the fact that the democrats probably would allow more federal funding towards stem cell research, he's jumping in to the political fray to best his own personal/medical interest.

16. EricGo

EricGo New Member

My opinion of limbaugh: one part scumbag, one part attention whore, and one part rightard.

17. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Oct 27 2006, 12:33 PM) [snapback]339377[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, that's not true. The more moderate Republicans do support it. The only roadblock thrown up was a veto by President Bush. The summary according to Wikipedia (bold-face is mine):
    What he's more likely trying to do is get Congress to be veto-proof on these and similar bills.

18. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, you know... Michael J. Fox has made quite a few appearances on the TV show Boston Legal. He's almost a regular character there. And never once do you see him shake or sway on that show. However, he is rather stiff looking.

So, he can obviously control his symptoms, or at least, as others have suggested, time appearances with the ebbs and flows of his symptoms.

Therefore, if I had seen the TV commercials in question, particularly after watching his appearances on Boston Legal, I too would have to wonder if he purposefully exaggerated his symptoms or purposefully timed his appearance to maximize his symptoms for the stem cell commercials, much like he apparently is controlling his symptoms or timing his appearances on Boston Legal to minimize his symptoms.

However, at the same time, assuming that such symptoms do occur, it seems appropriate to have a "this is what I have to deal with" type of demonstration during a commercial about the disease and the research for a cure.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how long has he had PD now? many of the common drug treatments are going to stab you in the back in that they'll keep you going but then you need more and more and more and eventually the use of the drugs themselves exacerbates the problem.

using dopamine or other dopaminergic agonists throws the system completely off kilter. one of the common treatments, L-dopa, actually will end up decreasing endogenous production of L-dopa (a dopamine precursor) through inhibitory feedback. dopaminergic agonists will lead to receptor desensitization and downregulation... which makes the problem worse.

what i'm getting at is that after however many years, i can't imagine how many drugs he has to take now to be able to control his symptoms completely. i know i'd be completely exhausted by now, and imagine the side effects from all that.

so if he didn't take his meds, so what? i wouldn't want to anymore either. he takes meds to do acting jobs where his character does not have parkinson's. the real MJF *has parkinson's disease*... i think we need to realize that there's professional acting, and there's being yourself (whether or not it's to promote your cause.)

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 27 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]339336[/snapback]</div>
    I am sorry I am so out of touch. My belief was that adult stem cell research is proving very worthwhile with numerous breakthroughs while embryonic stem cell research has yet to prove worthwhile and indeed some believe there is potential for the development of tumors and other negative side-effects not yet witnessed with the adult stem cells.

And for the record - I would favor him not making any politcal hay while pursuing his noble cause. Unless he wants to make advertisements for both parties at the same time - I would be shocked if MJF could not find ONE Republican who supports embryonic stem cell research to endorse. Why not just stay neutral for the entire process.

If he were completely non-political he would not be making advertisements or endorsements for any party making him NON-political. By making endorsements for both parties makes him political.

The only thing Google is teaching me is how to make good investments and the genious of the American economic system.

By the way - I do not support the govt getting involved with stem cell research at all - in any shape at this point. There is more than enough capital and talent involved - let the marketplace determine where both capital and talent are best placed - something the govt can never do. And for those that live in California -- thank you from the bottom of my NY State heart for borrowing $6 Billion for stem cell research - better you guys than us -- how long is it going to take you guys to pay that bad boy off :D And I am hoping all those resolutions pass like the one to tax CA oil :lol: Watch CA drive itself in the junk bond rating category - at least the rest of us have a small chance of benefiting from it, that is if they ever allocate that stem cell research money properly, have proper oversight, proper benchmarks, etc -- who is going to get that money? Perhaps some of the research centers in other states :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please help me further by pointing our how else I am out of touch - thanks in advance for your cooperation.