1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust on front hubs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by koa, Jan 29, 2006.

1. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Those of you that have changed out your wheels, had your front wheels off, or just the center emblem off, was your front hub (threaded portion that holds the bearings) pretty rusty? I notice discoloring from the rust bleeding through around the lug nuts and took the wheel off and that hub was pretty rusty already (three weeks old). Almost seems like it should have a cap or something protecting it from the weather. I assume one is not missing since both sides were the same. I'll paint it with something to kill the rust and stop the bleeding unless someone says there's a cap.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've got salt air. Here around New England we've just
    got ... salt. Wheel parts get a film of rust pretty quickly,
    which quickly leads to that "grabby" feeling in the brakes after
    the car sits over a wet night.
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/brakerust.jpg
    that's after only like a day and a half of sitting.
    _H*

3. c4

c4 Active Member

After a serious wirebrushing to get rid of all traces of loose rust, I got a can of zinc "cold galvanize" and sprayed the brake calipers, and the non-machined portions (hub and edges) of the rotors.. On the rear, I sprayed the drums as well. This treatment has eliminated rusting of these components, even through the winter salt, and the braking system components also look 1000% better through the spokes of the alloy wheels vs. their old rusty appearance.. This doesn't help with the spots of rust that form on the machined surfaces of the rotors, but a good hard braking takes care of that..

While you're at it, get under the car, brush off all the exhaust system joints and the muffer and use up the rest of the can.. In my experience, I get at least 2-3 years more life out of cold galvanized exhaust system components than untreated..

4. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm surprised that cold galvanizing paint lasts very long on the brake and muffler parts. I would think you would need a high temp paint. You can buy paint made for painting the brake parts. My concern on the hubs is getting the nut off down the line since the threaded portion is going to be very rusty by then.

5. c4

c4 Active Member

The only part that will actually burn paint or coatings is the catalytic converter, so I don't spray it, but the pipes and the brake rotors/drums don't get hot enough to do anything to the cold galavanize, which in the good brands is 95-98% powdered zinc and just a bit of binder.. Most of these types of sprays are also "weld through" (despite the dangers of welding galvanized steel), which means that they can tolerate high temperatures.. In short, temperature is not an issue; this is doubly true on the Prius which runs cooler due to it's more efficient ICE and uses its friction brakes much less due to regeneration..

As for the threads, there's nothing to worry about here either in my experience.. If you're concerned, a tiny bit of anti-seize can be used, but a good nut and bolt should create a near-hermetic seal when torqued to the correct degree so no water or anything should be able to get in there.. If you swap out the OEM nuts with aftermarket parts that have some manufacturing slop, the story may be different, but just like any "rusty bolts" that I have removed in the past, the portion that is engaged by the threads of the nut are almost always clean and shiny once the parts are separated, it's the rust forming on the exposed portions that keep you from extracting the fastener, and this shouldn't be a problem on the Prius due to its capped nuts (ie, hole only one one side of the nut)

6. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    c4, thanks for the info, I didn't know that about the paint. Just so you are clear about my hub rust. I am talking about the hub axle where the nut that holds the front bearing goes over approx 3/4 inch of threads. This is not a cap nut. It's the exposed threads I'm concerned about since the nut will have to pass over this rusted postion in the future. It is not the lug nuts. They had rust on them from bleeding from the rust on the threaded part of the axle. If you pop off the center emblem you can see the hub and nut, unless yours have a cap.

7. c4

c4 Active Member

The lock nut crimp prevents backing off of the nut, so the nut and the thread normally have a thin coat of bearing grease smeared all over it which should prevent any problems of rust and seizing.. On my car, the nut and hub area was the one place on the rotor assembly (besides the machined braking surface) that was completely rust free due to the grease..

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Since I have the winter wheels and tires on, it was easy for me to go down into the condo parking and check. Mine have very slight corrosion. During the first winter, I smeared Loctite Nickel Grade Anti Seize on the exposed threads and nut. It lasts a *long* time.

I would worry more about the caliper slide pins than surface corrosion on the stub shaft. The Prius calipers are fairly easy to remove, but if you just take out one slide pin at at time you won't disturb the caliper.

Loctite and other companies actually make a special synthetic caliper slide pin lubricant in a small plastic tube. Carefull clean off the slide pin, removing any corrosion that may be there, and smear a light film on. Don't overdo it or the excess may end up on the rotor.

I do this every fall and spring, but the slide pins appear to be good for longer. With my 1992 Honda Prelude, if I didn't do this procedure faithfully every fall/spring, the rear caliper slide pins would seize. Ditto with my 2000 GMC Sierra, the front calipers would be ok but the rear caliper slide pins would seize.

Just to get me angry, then I couldn't get the slide pin out, the bolt would spin the sleeve. A special wrench can be put on the sleeve to get the bolt out, so I just took an old wrench and ground it down with a grinder. I taught quite a few GM/Chevy truck owners that little trick.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang, and I thought mine was bad.