1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rust Rocker Panel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jacen17, Feb 8, 2021.

1. jacen17

jacen17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all
    Bought a 2005 Prius about 3 years ago that had some small cosmetic damage on the passenger side rocker panel in front of the rear wheel. Over the past couple winters the damage has rusted and I have always put it off as a "next year problem". Now it's the next year three times over so I think I need to address this. See images attached.

The rest of the car body is OK, and yes of course the undercarriage has rust after 15 years in New England. For example the muffler had been rusted out and I repaired that.

What is the best way I can DIY a repair to prevent or at least mitigate further damage? Car is at 220k miles and has other issues so I really am just trying to hold over another year or two until larger problems cause me to have to junk it.

Thanks!
    -J

Attached Files:

2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    File off all loose pieces and sand it down then filler with bondo then sand the bondo down flush and primer it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. jacen17

jacen17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I will give it a shot when it is a bit warmer and post some pics.