1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rusty lug nuts...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PNorth, May 29, 2013.

1. PNorth

PNorth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Toyota supplied lug nuts for my steel winter rims lasted one year before they became deeply corroded with rust through the winter. For the past two years, I've been grinding the rust off with a wire wheel on the bench grinder, but I'm getting sick of this hassle.

Can anyone recommend some replacement lug nuts for steel rims (angled seat as opposed to the flat base for the aluminum rims) that won't rust? If you know of a vendor in Canada, that would be even better so the shipping doesn't cost a fortune. I've read that the specifics of the nuts are M12 (12mm) 1.5 thread, 36.5mm length, 60° seat angle, and fit a 21mm (or 13/16) socket.

Many thanks!

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The two I purchased at Oreilly Auto's are rusting like crazy, so don't go there.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I proactively grease the crap out of the mating surface between the hub and the wheel and especially the lug bolts. It works. Grease the hub and the back of the wheel and don't let any get on the outside edge. When the wheel is bolted on no grease will leak out onto the rotor. Before I put the wheel on I push out the center plastic cap that covers the wheel castle nut. Then when the wheel is on I fill that void with grease and put the cap on. My castle nut is not rusted. You must use very high quality synthetic grease or it may melt a little when the wheel gets hot. Been doing this for a very very long time especially when I lived in VT which is really bad. You can use any synthetic wheel bearing grease you want but it must be 100% synthetic. I only use this stuff for my grease needs as its amazing and high heat does not bother it:

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Grease and Assembly Lube - CV-2 Grease

4. PNorth

PNorth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Kenoarto, I will steer clear of them! Thanks!

Edthefox5, I've coated the mating surface with anti-seize compound, as well as the lug bolts, but I need to find a set of lugs that won't rust on the outside. It's just cosmetic, but after the winter, these lug nuts looks like they've been on the bottom of the ocean for 50 years.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You never said outside. Thats easy too. Just spray them with this stuff. Works great. My entire suspension on all my cars is coated with this stuff. Never a squeak, rattle or rust. It's an excellent product. Odorless. Please read its product description:

Blaster 11 oz. Corrosion Stop Grease-16-CSP at The Home Depot

Forget anti-seize when used in running gear and exposed to the elements. With suspension components your much better off with high quality synthetic grease as it does not change much.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three