1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RWD Celica freak buys an '03 Pri

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by OldMage, Mar 20, 2009.

1. OldMage

OldMage RWD Celica freak, Prius "collector"

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a Brilliant Blue Pearl '03 (only 12k miles!) over the weekend. Overall very pleased. No Cruise Control tho, looking for a steering wheel & brake switch from a recycler.

Can't figure out yet how to adjust the headlight aim... Light pattern seems pretty decent, might still want some projector fogs.

It doesn't seem to coast quite as easily as my in-law's Iconic. Releasing the accelerator actually does regen (is it s'posed to?). Seems odd having to hold the pedal to NOT slow down too much.

Considering making coroplast under-panels front & rear. Is it really worth it? I've got a rather hilly/winding ~30 mile commute for work. So far seeing ~43-44 mpg over the 1st tank.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats!

Yes, releasing the accelerator will regen to simulate the automatic tranny torque converter and other non-hybrid related mechanical drag.

Isn't it amazing how Prius perform in the hilly road?

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi OldMage! While shopping for the cruise control parts, keep in mind that the full kit new is about $175 from MetroTPN (an old friend of PriusChat). Either way, pay heed to 'safing' the electrical system before you pull out the air bag.

The headlight aiming is via nearly invisible screws that you can see vertically below holes in frame metal. There may be a picture guide posted here somewhere.

Coasting without invoking regen requires sensitive footwork. You can experience real coasting by just shifting to 'N' (when road safety condtions allow that). If it still seems draggy, then check the rear drums for drag (wet-finger test). If you have read much here you already know that increased tire pressures are popular.

The eco-modder webstite probably has the most info on underbody panels - maybe somebody there has a template?

Iconic - you mean this?

New York 2008: Iconic GTR arrives in Gotham

Jeez.

4. OldMage

OldMage RWD Celica freak, Prius "collector"

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No slight toward Metro TPN, my local dealership's Parts Mgr is a friend, I can get the package for $165. Still checking into used parts. One recycler contact had a 1st-gen w/ beige interior (I thought they were all gray!). Will the NV20 steering wheel fit an NV11?

Found the headlight aiming screws, thanks! Vertical adjustment only? Ok... Like I said, I'm fairly impressed w/the light pattern (spoiled by euro-spec Hella H4 retro-fits in my Celica), and they only seem to be off a bit up/down.

I'll search for the "wet-finger test" on the rear brakes. I did buy a Haynes manual for the Prius (all US models included). Tire pressures have been increased, not sure if the tire shop guy got the front/rear offset right.

The "Iconic" reference was adopted from the John1701a site, referring to the NV20's.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I mean that you should drive from cold for a couple of miles, stop, and check the temperature of the rear brake drums. In Prius it should not be warm. If it is, something's dragging in there.

The steering wheels are not compatible between generations.