1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

S(w)eet Extenders

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GuamKelly, Nov 26, 2010.

1. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    today I installed the new, improved seat extender kit from
    www.extendmyseat.com. I'll report back after having lived with it for awhile, but my initial impression is very, very positive.

As other tall Prius-Pilots have reported, it bought me the leg room I needed. Even better, I find that the amount of seat recline I was using in an attempt to get a little space was too much for optimal comfort. I brought the seatback up a notch, the reach to the steering wheel is fine, and everything feels fine. Combined with the additional lumbar support I got with my Wet Okole seat covers, it feels like I'm driving a car instead of a torture rack. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will solve the back pain issues I've had since buying the car. If not, I may have to (very reluctantly) sell it.

Also, I'm pleased to report that the updated design appears to be extremely stout, with additional metal in the previously identified weak spots, and all the holes aligned perfectly. Installation took about 30 minutes. I found I didn't even have to remove the seat entirely from the car, just unbolted it and moved it around as needed.

So far, I'm a very happy camper indeed!

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Torture rack for sure. I remember being in heavy traffic couple years ago, not being able to see up very well, knee 3" from dash, leg really cramped reaching brake pedal .... what a nightmare. You'd think I never bought a car before, except it was about the 10th.

As for needing seatback quite upright ... same here. Can't stand having to lean forward to steer through a turn. Same thing needed for me in the 3rd Gen Prius as the new telescopic wheel actually only pulls .5" closer than the 2nd gen's (the other 1" range went to the very short people).

Hope you can get along with that Prius seat bottom. Never worked for me - no substantial thigh support. Might work for you and you may be able to see well without sitting lower.

Good luck

3. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III

Having lived with the seat extenders for a couple hundred miles, I'm even happier than I expected to be. Very, very comfortable, and much happier with Hal now. I think I'll keep him for ten years or so . . .

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Will this product effect the air bags from doing their job correctly?

5. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not a safety engineer -- but it seems to me, given the fact that my face remains about the same distance from the steering wheel, that there should be no problem with the timing of my face hitting the bag if that's ever needed.

I KNOW the airbag will fire normally, as what the kit does is move the entire seat and track assembly, which includes all the sensors and stuff.

It's remarkable, really, I wound up sitting just a couple inches farther back than I did before, not nearly the full aft travel the new rails allow, and it made a WORLD of difference in my driving comfort.

6. griffycprius

griffycprius c11prius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sounds great. If anyone has any questions on the product please send me a DM as I am the manufacturer of the extend my seat brackets.