1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Sabotage in Wartime"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Oct 16, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is the title of an editorial today which is linked below:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...in_wartime.html

Here are the two concluding paragraphs of that editorial:

" In a rare but revealing slip, Democratic Congressman James Clyburn said that an American victory in Iraq "would be a real big problem for us" in the 2008 elections.

Unwilling to take responsibility for ending the war by cutting off the money to fight it, as many of their supporters want them to, Congressional Democrats have instead tried to sabotage the prospects of victory by seeking to micro-manage the deployment of troops, delaying the passing of appropriations -- and now this genocide resolution that is the latest, and perhaps lowest, of these tactics.

I bring this issue up because the Wall Street Journal also made mention of it on its editorial page. It has gathered much interest because of the overwhelming majority of former Secretaries of State and other public officials including the White House have asked House Speaker Pelosi to table this bill - all to NO avail.

Another post on this BB earlier makes reference of Turkey's impending move into Iraq and a possible Turk - Kurdish war. Also, it is a well known fact that a large volume of our supplies headed to Iraq transit through Turkey. Also known, Turkey has been an excellent ally of ours. If this bill comes to a vote - or worse - passes or comes even close to passing - what will the effects be? In my opinion - the only results will be extraordinarily damaging to the US, to our effort in the war on terror, to our efforts in Iraq, to our relationship with Turkey, to a spreading of this conflict, etc. I see NO GOOD to this Bill.

The question is why Speaker Pelosi and other Democrats are pushing this Bill at this time? I for one am left with the impression that she is attempting to, paraphrasing this topic title, sabotage this war and perhaps to damage this Presidency - no matter what the cost(s).

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    this presidency was damaged before it started, so thats not it. what pelosi needs to do is SPEAK for the american people, as they have spoken to congress, and get us out using the power of the purse and stop the fear which has kept this war alive and put bush in office for 2 terms. FEAR FEAR FEAR...where are the christian right when we need LOVE LOVE LOVE, have they forgotten, fear and war are not a name of god as the gihadists believe.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 16 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]526269[/snapback]</div>
    Any comments about my post above?

Interesting, you believe Speaker Pelosi speaks for all Americans? What about the President of the United States?

Also, you refer to the "power of the purse" - please elaborate....

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know why they're pushing the bill either. Seems a monumental waste of time, money and energy that could be used for much more important issues...like overriding Bush's idiotic veto of of the Children's Insurance bill....and dozens of other more pressing and important issues.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 16 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]526277[/snapback]</div>
    I think if they want to push the central theme of recognizing another countries genocide they should start with something more recent and close to our history - like - what the Japanese did to their neighbors peri-WWII.

I still am left in total wonderment of Speaker Pelosi and the lack of MSM response to this - I do not think the NY Times has touched on this at all recently.

6. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 16 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]526275[/snapback]</div>
    1 comment about ur post, there will never be victory in iraq so that point is moot, gw made sure of that,
    power of the purse, self explanitary, as for the man in the white house, he scares people and makes them see the buggy man

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    FWIW, Berman, I do agree with you that this resolution is a complete waste of time. However, as it's already been pointed out, there's no way Bush can "win" the war in Iraq.

The article you linked to is an opinion piece that is heavily slanted towards the republicans.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 16 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]526296[/snapback]</div>
    seriously, explain what you mean by the power of the purse - or how you would choose to use it.

I disagree about your statement re: victory in Iraq 100% - but I view the war in Iraq as a battle in the overall war on terror.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 16 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]526304[/snapback]</div>
    hence my post - gives everyone a chance to speak up on this issue. so far not ONE person is backing Pelosi or her minions on this issue.

bush will not win or lose the war on terror - the free world will.

9. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When will we ever learn that wars can not be won. Some are simply greater losers than others. War is a loss for all.

PA P

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Oct 16 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]526328[/snapback]</div>
    I dont understand not being able to win wars. please explain?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Oct 16 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]526328[/snapback]</div>
    Q? Is it possible to lose a war?

11. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, everybody involved is a loser in a war. Or do you think our soldiers, who have been maimed, scarred and killed over there think differently?

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 16 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]526336[/snapback]</div>
    I was hoping that the person whose post i was responding to would have posted a response.

I was hoping for people to look at this above the individuals level since war is usually a thing conducted by large groups of people - i was hoping we could look at this issue from a national perspective.

by your analogy, everybody who drives a car is a bigger loser than any of our soldiers who fought in war since more are killed and maimed while driving than in combat. in any event, again, i would keep this to a national perspective.

Are their winners and / or losers in war?

13. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 16 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]526323[/snapback]</div>
    stop funding it. let the iraqi's fight it out just like we did in our civil war and look how great we became.

iraq is not the overall war on terror.

correct, no one is backing pelosi

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 16 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]526355[/snapback]</div>
    There are losers and no winners. In a war, all parties involved expend precious resources (lives, fuel, weaponry, billions of dollars of assets) for what? a few hundred square miles of land? Honor? God?

Tell me, what do we hope to "win" by attacking Iraq? Less terrorism? There weren't any terrorists there! Peace in the middle east? Things seem to have just gotten worse, what with the Sectarian violence, Iran posturing and wanting a piece of Iraq, Israel following our lead and attacking her neighbors while providing no proof that the attack was justified.

This war, like all others, has cost an incredible amount of money, equipment, fuel, and lives, without having a single tangible positive result.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 16 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]526362[/snapback]</div>
    If there are no losers in war:

1. Did the Nazi's lose WWII?
    2. Did the Japanese lose WWII?
    3. Did the Americans lose WWII?
    4. Did the North lose the Civil War?
    5. Did the South lose the Civil War?

Keeping it real simple here in terms of recent wars.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Oct 16 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]526357[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to stick to the topic i posted. thank you for opinion on Speaker Pelosi's "sabotaging in wartime" - not one person here backs what she is doing. that says a lot, a real lot.

and imho - you are not keeping your eye on the ball here. the war on terror is a worldwide conflict with the war in iraq just one battlefront.

16. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 16 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]526365[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, all of the above were losers in these wars. You say you want to take it above the individual level to the national level. I do agree there are individual winners in wars-- those invested in oil, arms, and the like. And you could argue there are some national winners in wars (if you neglect their dead, loved ones, post-traumatic stress, suicides, divorce, mental illness....). I would like to take it above the national level to humankind, or in the language of my profession "all those who are created in the image of God." When there is war humankind loses.

PA P

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 16 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]526362[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 16 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]526365[/snapback]</div>
    I said there ARE losers. But just because there are losers doesn't mean there are winners. Please, try again.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 16 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]526369[/snapback]</div>
    So the United States did not win WWII?
    and
    The North did not win the Civil War?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Oct 16 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]526368[/snapback]</div>
    Did humankind win by defeating the Nazi's?

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 16 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]526379[/snapback]</div>
    Dr. Black & White being intentionally obtuse again....doesn't ever get old for you David?

20. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 16 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]526379[/snapback]</div>

As I told you in another listing, if a hammer is the only tool in your toolbox that is what you continue to use. Our Civil [sic] War and WWII were horrendous wars, of course they were a loss for humankind. Enemies (which our country seems to "need") don't pop up from no where, including Hitler. There are reasons why they hate us and it is not because they don't like our freedom.

PA P

signing off for today :)