1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sacrifice Tax Break for Magnetic Gray or Not?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jw_teacher, Nov 10, 2005.

1. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Take a look at this link or click on the one from the front page:

http://priuschat.com/2006_toyota_prius.html

I matched up the color of this car with the one on the Japanese website and it turns out to be magnetic gray (if it's classic silver metallic please correct me). This is the exact color I wanted on the 2005 Prius but it wasn't available.

Now I'm left with a dilemma... if I go with the magnetic gray I will have to wait until *at least* May for the color to be available and forfeit any opportunity to receive a tax break from the government (60,000 sales rule... nice energy conservation plan GOP). Is there anyone like me crazy enough to wait that long and sacrifice that much money?

I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time and looking at eye candy everyday is something I heavily value.

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Most predictions are that Toyota will not reach the 60k threshhold in the first quarter.
    Since the tax credit gets reduced after the end of the quarter in which the 60k of hybrid sales, you should be ok provided you put the car in service by June 15, 2006.
    After the 60k threshhold, the credit is reduced. I don't recall by how much but it doesn't disappear.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

well, if you think that you will definitely loose the credit then if it was me I would not wait for the magnetic grey. I would love the magnetic grey as well.
    When I was buying mine, I was so paranoid about the color, that I called every single dealer in 4 different states over the weekend to see if they had one that I wanted. When the weekend was over, I said F**K it, I just want a Prius no matter what color. So, I called the closest dealer on Monday morning, they had the package I wanted but not the color I wanted but I bought it, and you know what for the first 2 weeks I was still kind of thinking about different color, but then after a while I just forgot it and it's fine. I am also intending to keep mine until it falls apart.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was able to get the color I wanted, but I had a couple of "backup" colors in case that fell through.

I agree, if you're worried about the credit, then don't worry about the color. As Kiloran suggested, you might get in under the wire anyway. You could always use the money to repaint the car. :)

5. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I just posted this:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...&st=0&p=153609&

It looks like Toyota will likely reach the 60k threshold in the second quarter.

If that is so and if I'm interpreting the text of the law correctly, the full tax credit for Toyota will be in effect for the first 3 quarters of 2006.

6. Spartan

Spartan New Member

This looks like the classic grey. From what I recall from the Toyota fleet table color chart the magnetic grey is a lot darker.

7. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

i think magnetic grey is darker - with some gold/brown tossed in. i'm fairly sure thats classic

8. thecan

thecan New Member

these are based on the cmyk values given on the actual color chart.

magnetic, mellennium, classic

Attached Files:

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually i think you will get it... i figure Toyota will sell its 60,000th around the middle of April and yes, i do believe they will insure production will not sell that one until after March 31st. no way they will put it off after that

10. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Find out where you can get it and order it there.... either fly to pick it up and drive back or pay a few hundred dollars to have it delivered to your house.

11. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    These new tax laws are so confusing I don't know what to think about the discount after 60,000 sold. I won't chance it.

I'll cross my fingers and hope the magnetic gray really is darker with the color I'm wanting ending up as classic silver metallic. If it is, great. If not, I'll live with it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

12. wilco

wilco New Member

As another poster mentioned, that color isn't Magnetic Gray. I couldn't open the attached images above so I made a new one based on the CMYK given by Toyota.

Magnetic Gray
    [attachmentid=816]

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Alright.. thats it.. I can never get those pictures to "enlarge" like they say at the top.... firefox or IE?

Ah... if you download them and then open.. you can go full screen!

14. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

If 60k cars are sold by sometime in the first quarter of 2006, the tax credit will follow the following schedule:

(2006Q1) - 100%
    (2006Q2) - 100%
    (2006Q3) - 50%
    (2006Q4) - 50%
    (2007Q1) - 25%
    (2007Q2) - 25%

If the 60k threshhold is reached sometime in the second quarter of 2006, the tax credit will follow the following schedule:
    (2006Q1) - 100%
    (2006Q2) - 100%
    (2006Q3) - 100%
    (2006Q4) - 50%
    (2007Q1) - 50%
    (2007Q2) - 25%
    (2007Q3) - 25%

I believe the quarters start on January 01, April 01, July 01, and October 01.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I"m waiting irregardless of what the tax credit is.. its still better than the 2000 deduction of 2005 and the 2006 has nice upgrades.... looks like the screen included!..... I'm in love with the Candy apple barcelona red too....

If anybody is going to get them... should be us!... its not like were waiting.... the dealers tell you all kinds of stories to get you to buy 2005.... to them a bird in the hand is much much better than "one bird" in the bush later!.

16. rockmon1!

rockmon1! New Member

Another Mag. Gray fan here...

Does anyone recall the taupey-sable color that the 4Runner had available back in '98? I am guessing that Magnetic Gray will be somewhere between that color and the current Phantom Gray.

Both are stunning colors, dark but stunning. In fear of trying to keep a dark car clean, I'm leaning to the Classic Silver for this car.

Plus,... wife doesn't want to wait longer than necessary for our '06.

humm...???

17. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That looks silver. I thought Magnetic Gray looked like this: