1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sad Day, lots of $$ repairs. Trying to save what I can. 12v Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Angelo, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys, the sating goes when it rains it pours is true. I just moved from SoCal to Seattle. The rain season is starting and one week ago my passenger HID headlight went out, again. I already replaced it once back in California including the ballast, it has since failed again due to the ever present condensation.

Took it to a shop to have oil changed, headlight diagnosed, and be on my way. Turns out the lamp has a leak and needs the headlamp assembly to be replaced. I wan warranty this time so I am letting the shop provide it. About $350 or so for the HID with bulb replacement. Then my 12v batter is lower than low and failed the test, even after a trickle charge no good. So now more money and more labor.

I didn't realize how hard it was to find Prius (2008) batteries. Costco sells batteries but not for the Prius, go figure. Kragen, Autozone, O'Rileys all sell the Yellow Optima battery for $230 Plus! To save some cost and labor here, what is a reliable battery that will FIT and Connect to the existing setup? They cahrge one hour labor and their battery cost is about $165 so about $240 for the job. I would like to get a battery for around 100-120. Can this be done, how difficult is the swap procedure?

Thanks for all the help guys, sad day for me realizing I may be $850 bucks poorer soon.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Are you a AAA member? Several years ago AAA changed mine out for the low $100s. I'm not sure it was a very good battery, but it did the trick.

Otherwise, $180 for a good battery is about as low as you can get. I got one for just over $200 from Toyota recently. The DIY is not too bad, a little more involved than a standard car, just some light mechanical things to remove.

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Are you a AAA member? Several years ago AAA changed mine out for the low $100s. I'm not sure it was a very good battery, but it did the trick.

Otherwise, $180 for a good battery is about as low as you can get. I got one for just over $200 from Toyota recently. The DIY is not too bad, a little more involved than a standard car, just some light mechanical things to remove.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Dat Boi likes this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I priced a Toyota battery for my brother-in-law last spring at Broadway Toyota in Portland for $190. I would guess you could probably find a genuine Toyota battery for less than the Optima. Try looking at the Toyota dealership websites.

There is Seattle, Lake City, the one near Edmonds -- Fife or Tacoma if you are that far south.

Also, that stupid store, Batteries Plus has a Prius battery for around $200.

A lot of times they have discount coupons for parts and/or service on their web sites.

Putting in the battery is a little fussy, but no big deal. Lots of instructions on this site.

The Batteries Plus at Northgate is quoting the Duracell for the SmartKey Prius at $195. You get 10 percent off if you order online and pickup in store.

They offer free installation on some batteries, but I doubt that holds with the Prius, but at any rate, you get the battery for around $175,

Maybe you can pay them $20 to get them to install. Personally, I would do it myself, but...

#4 Stevewoods, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  6. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #5 johnjohnchu, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well, hard luck OP ...but I thought you were going say HV Batt died and WA does not extend to 10 yrs. like CA...so hopefully that does not happen!

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Optima is a less than ideal choice.
    Car Batteries | Pep Boys | Battery Installation | Car Service

1) Bosch AGM is $143 vs Optima $187.
    2) Warranty: Bosch 4 yr vs Optima 3 yr.
    3) AmpHrour: Bosch 46 AmpHr vs Optima 38AmpHr. Optima looses a lot of capacitynb/c of the spiral co struction vs traditional plate construction.

Toyota True Start AGM for Prius can be had for $160-$180, if you price shop and get the local dealer to beat or match the cheaper dealer. 7yr pro-rated warranty.

kenoarto and johnjohnchu like this.
  9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    dbl post

#7 exstudent, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    double post

11. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    johnjohnchu likes this.
  12. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  13. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    plus the prime membership, i think its 90 bucks a year

14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW: Replacing the Prius battery is a clean, grease free procedure as it is located inside the car. Takes 30-40 minutes the first time, half that the second time. A good video on youtube does it in less than 5 minutes. I always wait for a 25% off parts coupon at Toyota or Advance.