1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sad News - PC has lost a member & friend - jimofdg

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PC Community -

I am sorry to pass along some sad news today. Long time PriusChat member and frequent poster, jimofdg, has passed away. Jim was a great member of this community I always enjoyed seeing him contribute his thoughts to a thread. He was an active member of the Chicago Prius Club and sent in a picture that we chose for this year's PC Calendar. Some people may think that it's hard to think of anyone you meet and know solely from the internet as a friend, but Jim was a friend to many of us, including myself.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on Jim in this thread. I would like to send some flowers on behalf of the PriusChat community for the funeral tomorrow, so if you'd like to help contribute to that cause you can PayPal money to [email protected].

James Mulqueeny Jr., age 47, of Downers Grove, IL, employed with the C.T.A. as Project Manager, beloved husband of Janice; loving father of Kevin; devoted son of James Sr. and Colleen Mulqueeny; dear son-in-law of Arlene Markley; caring brother-in-law of Patti and Karen Markley and Darlene (Edward) Swiatek; fond uncle of Erin and Danielle. Served on the Village of Downers Grove Technology Committee and was a member of The Grove Players. Funeral Services will be Saturday, Jan. 21, 2006, 9 a.m. from Toon Funeral Home, 4920 Main Street, Downers Grove, IL, to Divine Savior Catholic Church, 67th and Main Sts., Downers Grove. Mass 9:30 a.m. Interment Clarendon Hills Cemetery, Darien, IL. Visitation Friday 2 to 8 p.m. Memorials to National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Info, www.toonfuneralhome.com or 630-968-0408.

Please also feel free to post in Jim's memorial guestbook:

Memorial Guestbook

And if you would like to donate any money in Jim's memory, here is a link to the NMSS donation page:

National Multiple Sclerosis Society Donations

Jim's Profile

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Like everyone here, I met Jim through Priuschat but had the opportunity to get to know him at meetups. As you read through his posts, you understand that he was an intelligent and caring man. He enjoyed the performing arts - or actually, the way he explained it to me was that he enjoyed the arts and suffered through performing. :)

Like Danny said, it's a new world when you make and form relationships exclusively online. But Jim was an easy man to like. I'll miss him next week at our next meetup.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

I only knew of Jim through Priuschat, and even though I knew him only on a limited basis, I still know how much of a part of Priuschat he was, and that he will be sorely missed here. My well wishes, thoughts, and smypathies go out to all his family and close friends. And I know all of us here will miss you too, Jim.

-m.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    such sad news, jim was a real positive part of our community, our prius-driving family. best to jim, wherever he may be, and his family left here on earth.

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am truly saddened by this turn of life. Jim was a great guy, full of enthusiaism for those passions in his life. He even helped me get my Prius from the same dealer in the UP of Michigan. I will miss him.

Wayne

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sad news he had a good sense of humor and made me smile. Not enough of that in the world.

7. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is something to give a better feel of who Jim was.

Chicago Tribune

Wayne

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, Wayne's link has been taken down but after some digging, I found the original obituary:

9. dn6603

dn6603 New Member

This truly is a sad news. My condolences and prayers are with his family and friends. RIP.

10. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

I tried to write something before, and just couldn't get out anything that sounded right. Jim was one of those very genuinely nice and entertaining guys. He was one of our more respected members, and he will be missed immensely. Let us hope for the best for his family in these times. Let us also remember his impact on this site, and let his tradition live on.

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    jimofdg

Status [​IMG] (Offline)

Signature
    Why can't you be a nonconformist like everybody else?

:(

12. Rabid1

Rabid1 New Member

I didn't know Jim, but I would have liked to. So sorry to see him pass at such a young age. RIP my friend.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow what a bummer, my condolences to his family

14. sweetkisses

sweetkisses New Member

:(

While I am new to this forum, I feel for Jim's family... He sounds as though he was a fantastic guy and it is an honor that his car was chosen for the calendar.. I will have to place my order for it....

Life is so very short... I always remind myself of that each and everyday...

Caroline

15. ThePeterFiles

ThePeterFiles New Member

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wanted to share with everyone a letter that I received from Jim's wife, Jan, today:

Right now Jim's legacy.com guest book will go off-line in January of 2007. If we can pull together $79, PriusChatters can sponsor Jim's guest book to remain online permanently. Would anyone be interested in contributing to make this happen? I'll go ahead and pledge $25 to the cause. If the comments in the guest book mean so much to Jim's family, I think it is the least we can do.

17. ThePeterFiles

ThePeterFiles New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Mar 31 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]232795[/snapback]</div>
    I would be happy to contribute to the cause. Anyone else out there?

I would also like to mention that I have been struck how many Prius Chat members over the months have been touched enough by Jim and his life to follow the link above to my post on Jim and read more about him.

For those of you who have never seen a photo of Jim, here is a quick look, sorry it is so low-res. I was on the late shift at the Hospital last night. More on that later. I would show one with Jan & Kevin but I'd have to get their permission first.

[attachmentid=2799]

My web counter can tell if a visitor has been referred by a search engine or a link at a website, say a post in this forum, and to get a sense of where people have been coming from I check it periodically. In the month's since Jim's death it seems like someone has come from here at least 6 or 7 times a week, sometimes more than two or three in the same day. Of course I never know who it is, it could all be one person, but I doubt it.

Well, I wanted to say thanks. All those visits have meant a lot to me, as one who cannot afford a Prius until they have been used for some time, the regular reminder that there were oh so many others who valued Jim as I did has been very helpful in the healing process for me, and I am very greatful to you for that.

The healing process has been a long one for me and it is not yet over. I've known Jim since I was 12, that's 34 years give or take a few months. I said 33 before, but I forgot that I turned 13 after meeting Jim in High School. And of course, I have been luckier than those in this group, unless someone here has known him in person for as long and is lurking, because I had the benefit of his friendship all those years.

Gosh, I wish you could have seen him on stage. Normally fairly quiet, Jim Blossomed on stage. David in David & Lisa, Radcliffe in Richard the III, and his funniest role Edsel in "Near West Side Story".

Lately he had gotten back into theater and I had had a chance to see him in a few roles again. Liza's Father in My Fair Lady, one of the Traveling Salesmen in The Music Man and a few other things. And once in awhile he and I would sing together. One year we sang Closer to Fine at a talent show in Hyde Park. What harmonies Jim was capable of.

His love for Jan and Kevin was another thing. I worked for him for 18 years and in one way or another, spoken or unspoken, his love for them came up or was expressed by him one way or another nearly every day. Even if he was upset about this or that, it never seemed to alter his love for them.

The Prius was the kind of front edge technology that Jim loved to be involved with. Like the Mac, the Palm and the iPod, the environmental and Gas efficient Prius was just the sort of thing to appeal to Jim's Jesuit trained conscious and his Harvard (3 years!) sense of economics. Yeah, he was brilliant too. Almost a photographic sense of detail, yet not at all snobby. It would usually only come up in an interview or when another Ivy Leaguer was trying to play the intimidation game.

I always enjoyed the shocked look on their face when Jim would let loose a small detail that would lead them to conclude that he went to Harvard without actually saying so. It was very much fun to see some of them half strangle with the desire to ask the question, but afraid to hear the answer.

Yet Jim, without fanfare and hoopla did some of the most important work ever done in the history of CTA and his legacy will be long-lasting. Thanks again for the support. I guess I am dwelling on Jim tonight because my Mom is about to join him, her cancer was discovered at what appears to be the very,very,very end of stage III. That is days, rather than weeks, perhaps hours.

Pray for them both if you have a chance.

Jan is doing as well as can be expected. Probably better than me this week because of the mom stress. But Jan was always the fiesty survivor pragmatist. Still I pray for her and Kevin every day.

Let me know what my share of the memorial is.

Peter, The Peter Files Blog
    The Peter Files Blog For People Who Are Trying To Suppress Yucky Feelings With Laughter