1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SAD STORY.. LOST MY PRIUS.. CARWRECK.. pics

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JaviNOS, Mar 16, 2008.

1. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So, this may be one of my last posts... Lost my Prius today on a car accident. Ended up hitting the aluminum fence on the side of the road.. I ended up having no major problems just some muscle pain... increasing over the day...

On a personal note... I'm not happy this happened... I really liked my car... and had a few nice upgrades on it. I am actually happy how it took the hit. This is a strong car... It really protects the cabin.

However, I dont know if I'll buy another Prius... If I dont I'll let people know for reusable parts...

Attached Files:

2. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    sorry about your loss. looks like the prius has a nice crumple zone, the interior looks intact from the pics.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First of all, very, very sorry this happened.

Secondly, give it a a few days from the wreck before deciding.

I hate to admit it, but I've had five collisions in my Insight and at least three of them I could have avoided, even though I was NEVER blamed in any of them.

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats a total bummer.

What happened (your topic title mentioned a story)?

5. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ouch! I hope you have a speedy recovery, as well as you passenger (I'm assuming you had one since their airbag deployed as well).

6. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OH, JUST TO CLARIFY... THIS IS NOT ANOTHER CELLPHONE STORY. I WAS NOT ON MY CELLPHONE. NOR ON MY BLUETOOTH.
    Well there was actually no passenger... I have totally no idea why would the airbag deploy... there was no weight on the passenger seat... so I'm confused.

On thinking about it... yes it could have been avoided.. It was on a lane change... another car was changing to the same lane. Hit the other car on the front fender... It was raining... The car slipped and the road turned into soap... tried controlling it... at freeway speeds on a downhill... I guess I'm lucky.

The car has a great crumple zone... Interior is intact... If you go inside without looking at the outside you may think its a new car... except for the airbags of coarse.

The exterior as you can see its not the same story... Both front doors were jammed had to jump on the back seat to get out... This was my first crash... in nine years of driving so... it was pretty scary scene... adrenaline pumping... My first reaction after getting out was checking on the driver of the other vehicle to see if everything was "ok". Didn't realize how bad it was (on the prius) until a few seconds later... The other vehicle had minor damage and they were both ok.

When all that goes down you start feeling the muscle aches and the loss... but hey... its just a car... I prefer health.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you are OK, that's the most important thing.
    Next is the insurance can look after the car.

8. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I could fix that! really!
    and just FYI the 04 and 05 front airbags are not independant like the 06 and up.

9. limetime13

limetime13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So sorry to hear about your car, but glad it took the bullet for you.

The houses in the pix reminded me of Caparra Heights. When I was a kid, my Aunt and Uncle lived there (my Dad and Uncle had a business in PR). Many happy memories. I'd like to go back as an adult.

10. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am happy to hear that you and the other passengers are ok.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    glad you are ok- the rest can be replaced. take it easy for a few days and let your body and mind recover a little.

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi JaviNOS,

Sorry for your loss.

I find that the times I nearly get in real bad accidents (like yours) is when other drivers do not expect the Prius to accellerate like it does. And its usually when they are trying to merge into the lane I am in, and traffic is opening up. Which sounds a little like the situation that promulgated your accident. I am never bashful about using my horn in such situations. Even so, these are circumstances that bring about nightmares.

13. wired

wired wired

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, That's really too bad, sorry to have to see that. Main thing is you are OK. Since you will have to be getting another car, I would advise you to definitely look at the trend in gas prices lately. Don't know how much gas costs in PR, but I paid $3.65 in the SF Bay Area a couple of days ago, and it's only going to get worse.
    IF you decide to not buy another Prius, I would definitely be interseted in some parts from the wrecked Prius: Sharkfin, any BT parts, etc. Email me if and when you decide. Thanks and best of luck to you.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    shame

and wy don't you wanna second prius?

15. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Yes. I know gas prices are through the roof and that is my main concern... However, not saying the prius is a bad car, but I think traction wise... a wider car with different set of tires and an even better suspension than the trd sportivo i had could've handled it better...

I dont really like how the pruis stock suspension handles... and I dont think I may be able to salvage the front springs or shocks, and i dont plan to spend another 900$ on suspension. I'll see where insurance takes me... I'm still considering another Prius... just not thinking about it as my main choice.

I think the car really absorbed the hit... but maybe it could've been avoided with another car. I used to amateur race solo2... I have a little experience controlling vehicles on such situations, still nothing could be done this time.

I will post later on a new thread to let everyone know about the parts...

I may be selling everything except the sound system.

16. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did your car have the stability control? Just wondering if it would have helped in this instance. It sounds like you might have done a "pit maneuver" on a bigger and heavier car, probably a lot of physics at work, not to your advantage however. Glad you are ok, the aching will stop after a couple weeks. When the cell-phone lady broadsided my minivan that time I had a pretty good bruise from the shoulder belt as well!

17. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

sadly no stability control... I'm guessing it would have been a minor accident if it was that way...

18. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just make sure the next one has it. :)

I hear what you're saying about the Prius handling, but unfortunately no-one makes a good handling car that has excellent emissions and excellent gas mileage (yet).

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine handles like it's on rails. Maybe it is just good on the local roads here.
    I hope you replace it (if it is a write off) with a car that makes you as happy as a Prius.

20. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What are you comparing it to, because for certain, my Prius does not handle half as well as my WRX which is only a decent handling car.