1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SAE article: New artificial leather (Softex) gains increasing Toyota acceptance

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 11, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    New artificial leather gains increasing Toyota acceptance

usbseawolf2000, Sergiospl and alekska like this.
  2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even expensive cars have faux leather. They have leather seating surfaces as an option where the bottom and back of the seat are still faux leather, but in general, they look really nice.

VW has V-Tex,
    Mercedes - M-B Tex,
    bmw - Leatherette,
    Toyota - Softex,
    etc...

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The proof in the pudding or should I say padding? Will be how "Softex" holds up after 3-8+ years of use.

Softex has only what? 2 model years of application in The Prius? I would not only be curious what those owners feel about Softex, now...but in passing years.

Don't want to offend anyone, but I'm not such an animal activist type that I'm opposed to leather. I figure once it's wrapped around my steering wheel or stitched as a cover to my seat, it's a little late for me to worry about the lifestyle that was afforded the cow.

But I'm also not opposed to " Thermoplastic Polyurethane" or "Softex" , if an environmentally more friendly material can be created and used that offers similar feel and advantage? Then fine. If it can offer attributes BETTER than leather, even finer.

I may have to struggle with overcoming a "bit" of a prejudice from my childhood and some 60's, 70's and even 80's automobiles where vinyl seats were the economy offering. I still remember the black vinyl seats in my parents 67 Mustang. Looked Great....but in the summer all the usual negatives about vinyl applied.

Infact, I remember my parents buying a 1976 Toyota Corolla Station wagon and actually being happy about the relatively luxurious upgrade to "cloth" seats.

4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Good point that only time will tell. It's not like leather hasn't proven it will last forever. Acura's leather in the 90's were terrible! Regardless if leather or synthetic, UV protection and care is crucial.

5. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I like my Softex... one year so far, 23k miles... hope it wears well.

The Electric Me likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To be honest, SofTex feels a LOT better than MB Tex or BMW's leatherette (which is the worse imo). MB's "Artico Synthetic Leather" is the most convincing and feels more like real leather than SofTex imo.

Artico -> SofTex -> all the other "leatherettes" aka vinyl.

The only "issue" with SofTex is that there doesn't seem to be a perforated option. Hopefully it's ok in the summer and not "sticky"

Edit: Never mind, it states it in the article