1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured SAE wants to certify NACS by end of year, and fix plug & charge too

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by pakitt, Jul 14, 2023.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    https://electrek.co/2023/07/12/sae-wants-to-certify-nacs-by-end-of-year-and-fix-plug-charge-too/

Let's get this one out of the door and move on.
    What we really need is more affordable EVs, stealerships actually selling mid- and low-level trims of EV, more sensible lower trims that don't skimp on safety features like auto lights and rain sensors (Toyota! Kia! Hyundai!), trims that don't slap huge tires nobody wants to trade tens of percent of range, and, last and not least, a better, more energy dense, lighter battery technology.
    Also, how about EVs with lower and more reasonable HP ratings, lighter/smaller batteries, higher efficiency and cheaper MSRPs?

bisco and hill like this.
  2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Some good ideas. but isn't this like saying stop making big SUVs and make some nice smaller cars?

Mike

3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, with the difference that now they all cry “there are no rare earth materials and lithium to make big batteries”, while they are putting engines with 4-500 hp making trucks that have very bad efficiency and weighing 8000lbs because of a huge battery (Chevy Laredo EV, if I remember the model name correctly).
    Suv and truck sizes have gone up because gas has the same price as 1950 (adjusted to inflation) thanks to subsidies, and their mpg is the same as 30 years ago. There is no lack of gas or metal, and no tax framework to promote more efficient smaller vehicles in the USA, so why not make them bigger and heavier because, who cares, it is going to cost the same to build and use them.
    Would I want a heavy ev? No. Why? Because the heavier they are, the “harder they fall”, and because they pollute more with tires being destroyed faster, need more electricity that cost less but it is still mot coming 100% from renewables, because the amount of co2 and material needed to drive half the range of an ice is absurd.
    Instead of introducing lighter and more efficient evs, they are making copycats of the fat cows you see out there, like there is no climate change banging at our doors, and because to slap a 400hp+ electric engine is “easy”, why not do it, raise the prices because it is a “performance” car/truck, and who cares…

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately until the battery shortage is solved with more capacity, manufacturers are going to have high price high content (some that few want) as the only cars on the lot. Tesla though they would have lower priced competition by now. They may do what you want in 5 years. Tesla finally has its optical sensor and software doing my auto wipers better, but a simple sensor would have worked when I got over 4 years ago.

Most companies are going for less expensive instead of lighter batteries. It really makes sense as adding more power to push the weight is cheap, and now we have good suspensions to deal with the weight. Those inexpensive iron phosphate batteries also are not damaged repeatedly charging to 100% and are less harmed by heat. In a BEV the added weight doesn't hurt efficiency very much. Lighter batteries are coming but they are going to add to the cost at least for the next 7 years.

Safety systems as standard, and allowing for smaller tires on all trim levels I completely agree with.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Calm my friend, for some it is a buyer's market:
    https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-insights/new-vehicle-inventory-june-2023/

New-Vehicle Inventory, Prices Stabilize; EV Supply Grows
    Thursday July 13, 2023

EV Inventory Grows as Supply Varies by Brand, Segment and Price

The inventory of EVs grew further in June, closing the month at a 103 days’ supply. The industry had 90,953 EVs in supply during the 30 days that ended June 26, with 26,420 sold and an average listing price of $63,486. The numbers exclude Tesla, which sells direct to consumers. Only ultra-luxury vehicles and high-end luxury cars had more inventory.

Most EV models individually closed June with more than 100 days’ supply.

GM, which said many of its EVs in transit are already sold, had some of the lowest inventories of EVs. The Cadillac Lyriq closed June with a 50 day’s supply. The Bolt EV had only a couple thousand units available for a 23 days’ supply. The Bolt had just over 1,200 units available for a 23 days’ supply. GM is discontinuing production of the Bolt and Bolt EUV by year-end. However, GMC Hummer EV inventory had over 100 days’ supply.

The Ford F-150 Lightning closed June with an 88 days’ supply, below the supply count for all F-Series pickups, which is above 100 days. The Mustang Mach-E had 116 days’ supply.

The BMW i4 was at the low end with only a 40 days’ supply.

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from what i'm seeing, the only available ev's are very expensive, and most don't qualify for fed tax credit. so yeah, inventories are probably up and will keep going up.
    nissan arraya for 45k base? no thank you

pakitt likes this.