1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safari often doesn't show all posts in a thread

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by was, Dec 14, 2007.

1. was

was New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For me, Safari under Mac OS 10.5.1 frequently doesn't show all the posts in a thread. The forum may show, say, 10 replies, but only 5 are visible. Camino and Opera both show all the replies.

As a result, I think, often "View New Posts" will show updated threads, but viewing them only shows the older posts I've already seen and not the newer ones.

I normally surf with all client side scripting turned off (i.e., no JavaScript, Java, Flash, etc.), and at first I thought that might be the problem. But no, even with all that stuff turned back on I see the same problem. I've never seen this on any other forum, even ones that use the same forum software.

Very strange. Anyone else? Any fixes?

Thanks.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It isn't just Safari... I'm on a PC using Firefox, and I've discovered that I have to force refresh (CTRL + F5) the page to see an entire thread. For some reason, the site is caching pretty hard.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've actually had "View New Posts" give me zero threads, saying no threads have been updated since I last visit (mostly cause it thinks it's yesterday when I Marked All Read).

Anyway, all I did was delete the PC cookie and then logged in again and it solved the problem. See if that works for you.

4. was

was New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Rae Vynn, I think you've got it, and my bad for not figuring this out myself. When I emptied Safari's cache the missing posts appeared normally. I haven't had a chance to test this, but I suspect Camino and Opera were working only because I hadn't previously used them with PC and so they had no cached pages.

Could it be that the PC forum software is instructing browsers to hold onto cached pages too long? Maybe one of the moderators should look into how caching is set on the new software?

Thanks.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same problem for me running Firefox 2.0 on linux. I think you are right about the cache. I've been fighting this for a few days. Thanks for the idea for the work-around, although this is something that should be fixed on the server side.

Tom

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Both Safari and Firefox.

For a while every time I opened a post it automatically refreshed, I.E. I could see all of the new replies.

I noticed a day or two ago that there appeared to be no new replies. Then I started refreshing and voilá, new replies.

I stopped using Safari and switched to Firefox for a few days. Same thing.

I guess I have to refresh in both until whatever it is is fixed.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Danny mentioned he's aware of the issue and will be working on it this weekend, i think.

so hang on, it'll get fixed.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base