1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safari (Tiger) beats Mozilla

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jun 14, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    although i noticed it right away, i chalked it up to just a good day for the net. but i noticed that when posting to PriusChat that when posting on my Mac, it seemed like the posts were much faster than when posting with mozilla on my various wintel machines.

ao i started to take a few timings to see if there was that much of a difference or was it just a fluke. now before we get started, it is impossible to make side by side comparisons on internet speed. what happens on my end is still controlled by things i have no control over and that includes internet congestion, server loads, etc.

but on my end, i am using a dialup to network 4 wintel boxes plus my Mac Powerbook when its attached. using dialup makes me more aware of bandwidth problems so when i was doing this, i made sure that there was nothing going on on the other machines since im using a hub and network traffic will play a part in download times.

but by basing time to get first post loaded to a page it took a full 3.5 seconds longer on average. the fastest wintel time was a full 2 seconds slower than the average Mac time. also there were several times that were waay off from the average that i threw out because they were just too different. of these times, it was 21 wintel times and only 6 Mac times. now the Mac times i tossed would have been acceptable for the wintel times. but some of the wintel times i tossed were in the 15 second range

i haqve been timing these posts for the last 3 days so i have a good bunch of data. i also went to alternating posts from one machine to another to see if anything changed and it appears to not matter.

anyone else maybe with broadband who has both platforms notice anything different when using this site?

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would your router or for that matter the unix machines on the internet care which machine sent them data? The internet does not care if it was a Mac or PC, it's just data and it is in one format regardless of type of machine sending it.

Have you ever noticed that if you try to open Priuschat or other web sites and it does not appear that if you resend suddenly it works? This is because it went a different route on the internet and avoided the traffic jam the other request got caught up in.

The actual time to display on your monitor may vary by program, display options, aplets running, cache etc. Testing the internet from one moment to the next will vary constantly. Good luck testing it with a stop watch.

I have a 4mbps cable and one moment it shows 3300kbps and the next 4200kbps with testing at DSLreports. If I had tested first with IE and then Firefox it would say there was a big difference. But in fact they were both Firefox (Mozilla).

And take joy in calling PC's Wintel as soon you will be calling mac's Mactel as they too have joined the Intel bandwagon too.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    DaveinOlyWA, If up and download speeds are that big a concern . . . you may want to try something besides dialup and PriusChat . . . NOT the best of combinations :wink: . . . but worth the wait none the less! :)

At first I thought you were saying Safari beats Mozilla . . . on a Mac.

Now I'm thinking you are comparing a Mac OS X Tiger running the Safari web browser to a Windows PC running a Mozilla browser . . . hopefully a Windows XP machine running Firefox 1.04 at that.

If this is true, you are doing an apples and oranges comparison if you are talking about the web browsers and not the Operating Systems.

If you truly wish to compare Safari and Mozilla, I suggest you download the Mac version of Mozilla Firefox and let them duke it out on a level Mac OS X Tiger playing field.
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/all

Either way, they are both a much better and safer choice than IE. Just don’t blame Mozilla for also knowing how to navigate the treacherous Windows OS road. Mozilla Firefox is available in 38 different languages for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Firefox is also available for Solaris, JDS, and OS/2.

- - - -
    Me personally, I run Firefox 1.0.4 on a Windows XP/AMD 64 box which is connected to the web on a 10Mbps symmetrical Fiber Optic connection. Speed is not a concern for me, so in order for me to feel my computer isn’t just sitting there wasting away, I have it chewing on Stanford’s Folding@Home distributed computing science project 24/7.

If you would like to have you computer do some serious medical science . . .
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

(It is very important to return results for any work unit assigned to you computer. By discarding a work unit, you can delay that particular project by months)

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    YES u r right. it is a comparison of apples verses oranges. that IS my intention.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"98539)</div>