1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

safe headlight bulb replacement 06'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jmooney, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jmooney

jmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the navigation package, no fog lights, can anyone direct me to a replacement?

2. jmooney

jmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...hey you know HID are the special expensive headlights, and also there were some problems with them. My 2006 does not have the HID lights so I just use the cheapos. The cheaper the better for bulb life, but dimmer. One flaw in the Prius is hard to replace those bulbs so only once so far for me.

You need to know if you have HID fixtures.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you can have HIDs without nav but I don't think you can have a nav with halogen headlamps. basically, if a gen II prius has nav than it has every option available that year (with the exception of leather).

so normally I would tell you that you bought the wrong bulbs because no fog lamps means halogen headlights and you bought the HID bulbs. So either you are mistaken about whether your car has fog lamps or navigation, or you have a "base" car that someone added a navigation unit to, or you have a "loaded" car that someone removed the fog lamps to.

here's a simple solution. go to the car and look at the left turn signal stalk, on the tip is the big headlight switch with 3 settings, beside the headlight switch is there a smaller "ring" with 2 settings (on & off) with a picture of a light with several squiggly lines coming out of it? If yes than you definitely bought the correct bulbs. If no than you probably bought the wrong bulbs.

or here's another way, when you drive at night you've probably noticed that some of the gen II prius have yellowish white lights and some have brighter bluish white lights. If your car has the bluish white lights than again you bought the right bulbs, otherwise you did not.

it seems like most of the philips d4r's on amazon.com are fakes, so the Maxlux is a wise decision if you are refusing to pay dealer prices. Regardless of whether you wear gloves or not to remove the old headlight bulbs, put on fresh latex gloves when handling any headlight bulbs, never allow any dirt or oils from your hands to get on the bulbs.

5. jmooney

jmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the tips, my 06 has navigation and the white almost blue lights. Also, the bulb works for a long time then you have to turn it off then back on, I figured this meant it was HID because a halogen light probably wouldnt come back on? Well, I'm almost certain these will be the correct replacement bulbs.

6. jmooney

jmooney New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks to the youtube video, I changed out both headlights in about 20 minutes with caution. Both lights seem to work so far, hopefully, they will last another 120k miles. :rockon: