Safe jacking points?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by lil_red_Prius, Mar 17, 2008.

1. lil_red_Prius

lil_red_Prius Rollin' with my toy...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a new Prius. I wanted to give it the first 3000 mile oil change myself. I've been doing my own on vehicles for many years.

I have a floor, 3 1/2 ton hydraulic jack.

Where are the safe jacking points on the front? The manual seem to be pointing to spots inward from the wheels. Frankly, the car is too short for me to actually get my jack slid all the way to that point?

When you are fixing a flat, where's the jacking points? Right along the edge of the frame, just behind the wheel?

I want to do this right without hurting my baby! Photos or detailed description would help

2. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think you could do an oil change without lifting the car, but that takes a lot of "braille" work. I suggest you get yourself a set of ramps. They make changing the oil a breeze.

3. bat4255

bat4255 2016 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    For changing a wheel (flat) there are notches on the side sill weld tabs. The jack (scissor jack that comes with the car) goes there. One just behind the front wheel, and one just ahead of the rear wheel on each side. If you want to use a floor jack there you should make an adapter so you don't bend the weld tab.

For oil changes, just use a small ramp - I use 2X8s with one 2X4 under one end. You can actually do the oil change without the ramps too. You may need the "socket type" oil filter wrench. Or an oil filter wrench that turns 90 deg. (it's a tight space around the filter). Once you remove the original oil filter, if you're careful you won't need a wrench for the rest of the changes.

Toyota says you should change the oil drain plug gasket each time you change the oil. I find this extreme overkill. Do purchase one or two and keep them in the car, "just in case" you break or loose one.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Use ramps ... much safer.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I change my oil I use the jacking point just behind the left front wheel to raise the car so the drain plug is the lowest point of the pan.

I use jack stands and place a stand near the front jacking point so I can move the jack to the rear and rotate the left side tires while the oil drains.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  8. JBuckPrius

JBuckPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heavy Duty Car Jack

Does anyone have this jack? Seems like a good deal. Is it a low enough profile to reach the recommended jacking points?

9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would guess no if you are looking to jack the car up from the front center jacking point. I’m not sure if the low profile jack would work. The good thing about Harbor Freight is you can return it if it doesn’t work. All you lose is the gas to the store and back. You can use some 2x8’s to raise the front of the car enough to use a regular jack. I use 3 stacked in lifts. Like steps.

#9 Skibob, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    don_chuwish likes this.