1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Safe locations on dash for GPS ScanGauge LCD etc. avoiding airbags?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Jun 9, 2010.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have had this thermometer Velcroed on the dash for a while now. Yesterday I noticed the small "SRS curtain airbag" marking on the beige/gray colored plastic (upper left of the picture).

[​IMG]

Where does the curtain airbag come out and where does it extend to? Will the thermometer be in the way and become a projectile? In general where on the dash is a safe area to attach small LCD screens etc.? Thanks!

2. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think you're looking at the side curtain airbag that would deploy between the driver and the driver's side window. The airbag in the steering wheel is the one that could come straight out and hit you in the face...that sounds bad until you consider the options. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    snead_c is correct. If you really must have it, maybe right smack in the center of the dash or to the left of the screen.

4. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used a proclip centre mount like in the shop here... then added a bracket to hold the sg. It's above my right knuckles when I drive.

5. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I suppose anything loose can become a projectile, though the digital thermometer is pretty light relative to other things people have in their cars, plus it is fastened down. Mine is tucked closer to the little window, I never look out that window, and it seems a good use for the space.

Picture of a deployed side air bag I found on the net, doesn't seem close to the dash at all.

Toyota Prius Car Accident Pictures: I remember sliding sideways on the asphalt and looking out my window and seeing the stop sign coming towards us way too fast I heard a loud pop in my ear and the next thing I knew we were sitting in a ditch with my

1 person likes this.